• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quick Thermal Question

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 6, 2007
Messages
11,610
I just bought a small Shuttle barebones system from a fellow forum member, and that leaves me with a heat-related question. I'm planning on using this as an HTPC to replace a full tower in my living room. I have a choice of two processors, and I'm wondering which would generate less heat.

The options are a Core 2 Duo 6420 and a Core 2 Duo 8400.

Thanks!
 
They are both listed as having a TDP of 65W ...but the thermal spec of the 6420 is lower.....so I would say that's the cooler running chip
 
The 6420 is an old, 65nm Conroe CPU and the E8400 is a current 45nm Wolfdale CPU; the 8400 will use less power for just about everything. The 8400 may use more power under loads like CPU Burn, but that's only because it runs faster and does more work. TDP is useless for estimating CPU power usage.
 
Perhaps, but it is useful to determine heat output......which is what the OP was asking.....

No, it's how much power the package can dissipate, not how much power will in fact be dissipated. The typical VID for that old chip is 1.35v and the new chip 1.25v. The chip with the higher voltage will run hotter.

Lower power and less heat is the main reason Intel did the 65nm to 45nm die shrink.
 
The E8400 will probably use marginally less power, although both will have very low consumption.
 
No, it's how much power the package can dissipate, not how much power will in fact be dissipated. The typical VID for that old chip is 1.35v and the new chip 1.25v. The chip with the higher voltage will run hotter.

Lower power and less heat is the main reason Intel did the 65nm to 45nm die shrink.


Are you arguing just to argue, or are you intentionally missing the point.

The TDP on those chips is identical on the Intel site , but the thermal spec on the 6420 is lower.

Thats what I said and that's what I posted.

I'm perfectly aware of the difference in the design and why they implemented it, but that's not what the OP asked

he asked which chip would run cooler, and in my book,its the 6420..
 
Agreed, the 6420 will run cooler but not by much. Go with the E8400 and get a nice heatsink and you'll be good to go.
 
Are you arguing just to argue, or are you intentionally missing the point.

The TDP on those chips is identical on the Intel site , but the thermal spec on the 6420 is lower.

Thats what I said and that's what I posted.

I'm perfectly aware of the difference in the design and why they implemented it, but that's not what the OP asked

he asked which chip would run cooler, and in my book,its the 6420..

The thermal spec really has nothing to do with the amount of heat the CPU will produce. Chances are that both chips will have pretty comparable power consumption, with maybe a bit of an edge for the E8400 due to its lower voltage and smaller manufacturing process.
 
Back
Top