QUICK! Tell me what to buy!

alxlwson

You Know Where I Live
So the wife came in from work, handed me $100, and told me to buy something for my computer. She then informed me that after this week is over, we are going to start working on making our first. I think this was a bribe, but that's ok.

I was thinking about getting a full set of Riing fans as I have a bunch of junk fans right now.

Any other recommendations?

A full set of matching fans aint a bad idea as compared to a bunch of random/reused ones.

Dunno how pleased you are with what your rig looks like on the inside but cabling sleaves or extenders for those "ugly" bits of wire like the psu or pcie power connectors, or case wires might not be so bad either.

A full set of matching fans aint a bad idea as compared to a bunch of random/reused ones.

Dunno how pleased you are with what your rig looks like on the inside but cabling sleaves or extenders for those "ugly" bits of wire like the psu or pcie power connectors, or case wires might not be so bad either.

I would like to get a fully sleeved kit of psu cables. I HATE these "flat" cables that came with my unit. It looks like a bunch of IDE ribbon cables running around lol. I have that mess pretty well cleaned up right now. Everything is tucked away quite well. The only eye-sore are the two sets running to my 980Ti. I wish XFX had included two sets of eight-pin only. As it stands, I have two sets of 8 each with a 6+2 branched off of the 8. It's a little fugly.

I'm still leaning towards the fans at this point. Guys, please! Bring on your suggestions :D

Last edited:
I agree cabling sleeves look so much better and makes it easier moving cables around. I got mine and never going back to regular sleeves. Just wish they had it for my second comp PSU

So the wife came in from work, handed me $100, and told me to buy something for my computer. She then informed me that after this week is over, we are going to start working on making our first. I think this was a bribe, but that's ok.

I was thinking about getting a full set of Riing fans as I have a bunch of junk fans right now.

Any other recommendations?

First off, a kid will cost you an average of $1,000,000 with all the money required to keep them in a state of first-world middle-class by the time they are 18.

$100 is hardly a fair trade-off.

First off, a kid will cost you an average of $1,000,000 with all the money required to keep them in a state of first-world middle-class by the time they are 18.

$100 is hardly a fair trade-off.

Understood. But the wife doesn't like to spend money, at all. Our savings account is enormous due to her frugality and my silence. I'm 29, shes 32, and our savings is more than the combination of our ages x1000. The budget she keeps us on is ridiculous. So believe me when I say this is a huge treat, especially coupling my 980Ti purchase this weekend. I take the money and do dances when it comes lol. On the same hand, it's pretty awesome not having a single penny of debt. She makes me contribute 25% to my 401K. By third quarter, I've reached the maximum allowed by the fed.

So, what do you have in mind? :D

Understood. But the wife doesn't like to spend money, at all. Our savings account is enormous due to her frugality and my silence. I'm 29, shes 32, and our savings is more than the combination of our ages x1000. The budget she keeps us on is ridiculous. So believe me when I say this is a huge treat, especially coupling my 980Ti purchase this weekend. I take the money and do dances when it comes lol. On the same hand, it's pretty awesome not having a single penny of debt. She makes me contribute 25% to my 401K. By third quarter, I've reached the maximum allowed by the fed.

So, what do you have in mind? :D

Ha, being debt free is nice... but a kid will change that! :p but srs, a nice little fan upgrade is not a bad idea.

If you are the tinkering type you don't have to buy a kit per say. Just buy the tools to remove the pins from the connectors, buy whatever type of sleeve you like, some heatshink, and then prepare to spend WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much time once you get comfortable with the fact you can do anything you want with your wiring :D

If you are the tinkering type you don't have to buy a kit per say. Just buy the tools to remove the pins from the connectors, buy whatever type of sleeve you like, some heatshink, and then prepare to spend WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much time once you get comfortable with the fact you can do anything you want with your wiring :D

Already did that once previously. Never again. I spend too much time with Molex pin connectors and rectifiers at work now to EVER consider that again. Lol

A fan upgrade I think is a good idea. You could splurge a bit and get all PWM fans too. Then using your motherboard you can set up some profiles so your PC will stay silent when it's idle and ramp up slowly when it's under load. :)

A fan upgrade I think is a good idea. You could splurge a bit and get all PWM fans too. Then using your motherboard you can set up some profiles so your PC will stay silent when it's idle and ramp up slowly when it's under load. :)

Sadly this mobo has only two pwm headers. I hate this mobi. Not nearly enough fan headers. Five is it

Excelent choice when the computer also needs to function as a hovercraft or food processor.

Also prevents head on colision with wildlife when you use it as a hovercraft.

Pics of wife not loading.....

Dude..... she comes work from work, hands you $100, and then says she needs you in the bedroom?
Next you'll tell us she's hot and a good cook too.

Does she have a single twin sister by chance?
(please PM sister's number.)

Oh yeah..... back to computer stuff.
Fans, new power supply, CPU cooler, whatever.

LOL if my wife did this. I wouldn't take the offer! Why must she bribe you to have a 1st?

It was kind of a bribe, but not really. I think it was her signalling that money is gonna start to tighten up lol. She's been wearing me out. My back hurts like hell and my balls the size of raisins.
I ended up getting 5 of the Thermaltake Riing 120mm in green. So much improvement on noise from the shitty generic Amazon special fans that I had before, as well as the stock fans on the H100i. Got a decent cooling boost on the cooler, ~2º after the swap. Very happy!

Profit sharing from the company is next month, and then I have no more monies for computer parts for a while. Asus X99-A, 5820K, haven't decided on the RAM yet. Any suggestions?

Back