• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quick switch between two soundcards

Stapled

n00b
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Messages
40
I searched around, and while dual-soundcard issues seem to abound, I couldn't find anything that covered this particular situation.

I have 2 soundcards - Audigy 1 and AV-710. I want to be able to switch which card windows is using for default sound playback without having to go through control panel > sounds and audio devices > audio. I was thinking some sort of batch file or shortcut would be ideal, so I could just click a shortcut or hit a hotkey to change from one card being the output device to the other.

More information: I'm using kX drivers for the audigy, but that shouldn't be any different for accomplishing this task than the creative drivers. My desire here is to easily switch between the headphones on the av-710 and 5.1 speakers on the audigy quickly.

Thanks for any advice, and I wouldn't be suprised if there's just no easy way to do it.
 
I'm guessing you're using the AV-710 for music and the Audigy for games/movies? I've had this exact combo before. I had the Audigy as the default card in Windows and then used Foobar to select my AV-710 for playback.

Dunno about a batch file, but i'm sure someone will be able to help you with that.
 
Spot on ;) . The only catch is I'm in a dorm an sometimes things overlap... I'll want someone else to hear a song on foobar, or I'll be watching a video and not want to disturb my roommate, etc. So it would be best to have one universal software switch between the speakers and the headphones.
 
Firstly, even though your idea was obvious (and I had overlooked that!), thanks Chastity, you ended up pointing me in the right direction :). Secondly, I figured it out, here's how if anyone is interested:

1. Set the first card up in Sounds and Audio Devices, and export the following registry key into a .reg file (I named it 1.reg for my purposes):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\Sound Mapper

2. Then set up the second card in Sounds and Audio Devices, and export the same registry key, naming it 2.reg.

3. Now throw them in a folder with a batch file containing:

regedit /s "C:\full_path\whatever_folder\1.reg"
rename 1.reg temp.reg
rename 2.reg 1.reg
rename temp.reg 2.reg

Now you can just run the batch file to switch between the two cards.

For a less direct, but easier method, you can run "control.exe mmsys.cpl,@,2" to go straight to the Audio tab in Sounds and Audio Devices.
 
Back
Top