Quick suggestion for Nvidia card with mini DP.

Visual360

n00b
Joined
Sep 5, 2011
Messages
41
Hey guys, and gals.

I need a quick suggestion for a Nvidia base video card that has a mini DP. Reason for the mini display port is because I have a Apple Cinema 27 that only has the mini DP.

I have a pretty old Radeon HD68x base card right now that I'm using for this monitor, plus another two 24 Dell monitor. So total of three monitors, and the setup is actually running fanstastic even with 3 monitors, and with such high resolution.

The reason I want to switch to a Nvidia base card is because I'm using a 3D base program called Tekla Structures, and somehow it just run likes crap when I'm modeling. Everything else runs great (including AutoCAD, Photoshop, etc.), but somehow this program is just messed up. I have read that they recommend Nvidia video card, so I am going to give it a try.

My computer hardware is pretty decent (SSD, 8GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro), so the only other reason I can think of is my video card. Hence the plea for suggestion.

Anyway, I'm pretty open with my budget, but the cheaper the better. :)

Thanks in advance. And if anyone is particularly familiar with Tekla Structures, please give some advice on what's the best hardware to run the program.

Regards.
 
All you need is a cable with DP to mini DP. That is all. Go to monoprice , buy a DP > mini DP cable, problem solved. I'm not aware of any nv gpu with mini dp. It isn't really needed anyway, you just need the proper monitor cable.
 
All you need is a cable with DP to mini DP. That is all. Go to monoprice , buy a DP > mini DP cable, problem solved.

Hi xolera, thanks for the reply.

I guess I wasn't too clear. My Video card now has a mini DP, and it actually plays well with the Apple Cinema display.

My dilemma is running Tekla Structure with a Radeon base GPU. That's the reason I wanted to switch to a Nvidia base card to see if that will improve my experience with the software. On the other hand, you are right, I don't necessarily need a mini DP on the card, a DP with adaptor will work too.

Thanks again.
 
Hi xolera, thanks for the reply.

I guess I wasn't too clear. My Video card now has a mini DP, and it actually plays well with the Apple Cinema display.

My dilemma is running Tekla Structure with a Radeon base GPU. That's the reason I wanted to switch to a Nvidia base card to see if that will improve my experience with the software. On the other hand, you are right, I don't necessarily need a mini DP on the card, a DP with adaptor will work too.

Thanks again.

Yeah, it'll work fine. You don't need an adapter, you can find direct mini dp to dp cables with no adapter, they're quite common. In fact you can pick them up on amazon or any other number of resellers.'

Example:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-6-Fe...396586345&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+dp+to+dp+cable
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top