Quick stupid question

teletran8

2[H]4U
Can Intel HD3000 igp be used to fold like an Nvidia or AMD gpu? Do I have to configure HD3000 in settings? tia

Nope.

And if it could, I'm not sure it would finish the WU in the deadline.

I found this hilarious quote from the Stanford website while looking for ATi's CUDA equivalent.

Also, nVidia cards in general have some technical limitations beyond the number of pixel shaders that makes them perform poorly in our calculations.

Source

There's a lot of old stuff on that page.

Right now, GPU WUs are set to 660 PPD. As we go through the beta process, we will examine the issue of points for WUs. We do understand the significance of this in compensating donor contributions. We do not expect this will have significant affect on Team scoring.

768w on platinum psus on 220v

Thanks! Am I right when I belive you have four of those in folding? That bring me to my next question, what kind of motherboard are you using? I did find those four chips on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Sandy...=649469807737171686&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=1& but are a little unsure if they will work on this motherboard http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9QRi-F_.cfm ?

This is a large investment for me so I have to be absolutely sure they will work before I pull the ebay trigger. Please lead me to another topic if this is the wrong place to ask?

I was planning to use a 950W PSU from Chieftec that have 2 x +12V for the CPU, and use adapter for PCIe to+12V to those other two. Link to the PSU: http://www.chieftec.eu/en/psus/nitro-85-series/bps-950c.html Or maybe I should go for the 1200W?

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Never heard of chieftec, so i'm not sure if they are any good or not. Personally i'd go for a 1200w unit for the extra headroom and better efficiency. Brand wise i'd look at corsair/seasonic/Enermax or 0some antecs.

Oh and welcome to the forum, seen you post over at FF and i have to save you have a nice pile of hardware folding away

This is a large investment for me so I have to be absolutely sure they will work before I pull the ebay trigger.
I was planning to use a 950W PSU from Chieftec .... Or maybe I should go for the 1200W?

Welcome to [H] -alias-. Because those are ES CPUs I don't know if anyone here can give you a 100% guarantee the board will recognize them properly. Patriot or tear might know though. As for the PSU, I think the Chieftec sounds borderline. Personally I would go for a 12v single rail PSU like the Corsair AX1200.

Thank you all, I feel really velcome here I must say.:)

Is there anyway to check if those ES CPUs will work with the motherboard I mentioned before I might buy them? I do not think I will take a $3400 chance that they will work without knowing for sure.

I have Chieftec PSUs in all my G34 rigs and they ar all working just fine. Chieftec is quite big in Norway and they have a 5 year warranty so I feel safe with this brand.

Thank you all, I feel really velcome here I must say.:)

Is there anyway to check if those ES CPUs will work with the motherboard I mentioned before I might buy them? I do not think I will take a $3400 chance that they will work without knowing for sure.

I have Chieftec PSUs in all my G34 rigs and they ar all working just fine. Chieftec is quite big in Norway and they have a 5 year warranty so I feel safe with this brand.

Mine are C0s on a rather proprietary board...so I cant tell you for sure..but the ones you linked are C1...

24hr power peak is 815w, avg 731w

all time peak 971w .... honestly I would grab the 1050w seasonic...but a 1200w would cause less worry ....keep in mind you have to be able to tap into the whole psu... so check the rails carefully ...

Mine are C0s on a rather proprietary board...so I cant tell you for sure..but the ones you linked are C1...

24hr power peak is 815w, avg 731w

all time peak 971w .... honestly I would grab the 1050w seasonic...but a 1200w would cause less worry ....keep in mind you have to be able to tap into the whole psu... so check the rails carefully ...

There is 4x 8PIN CPU connectors on the X9QRi-F+. Do I have to connect (read use) them all? On my SM H8QG6-F I use only two of tree, and it is working fine.

Manual is probably your best bet at this time.

I should be able to tell you in couple weeks... :-o

Thanks, I happend to have the manual for the X9QRi-F+, and from the manual I read this:
"Warning!
To avoid damaging the power supply or motherboard, be sure to use a
power supply that contains a 24-pin and four 8-pin power connectors.
Connect these power supply connectors to the 24-pin power connector
(JPW1) and the 8-pin power connectors (JPW2~5) on the motherboard.
Failure to do so will void the manufacturer warranty on your power supply
and motherboard."

Does this mean that all four must be connected? As far as I know there are not PSUs with four 12V CPU connections. The ones I have have two and I can use the two more by adapters from PCIe 12V CPU. Will this be a satisfactory solution?

Should be fine.....

As long as you have a true single 12v rail PSU.

I could not forget the EPS-12V 8-pin Y-splitter I found online, and bought 2 pcs. to take a look at them. I find them in an online store in the U.S.
It will look like this, when 2 x EPS-12V split to 4 x EPS-12V.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I think this must be a good thing for my new rig with 4P E5-4650, overall power to all four CPUs are 520W max by 16 rows closest to the PSU, which is 5.4A on each stick (pin) if I'm not entirely on a forest ride! PSU only has one 12V rail.

The EPS-12V 8-pin Y-splitter look like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
I would avoid the EPS splitters and go for 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin EPS converters. Less strain on the EPS rails. Most folders have plenty of 6-pin PCIe connectors laying around.

I really appreciate your advice and understand what you mean, but since the load is close to what an EPS-12V is designed for, this should be a safe solution. I will hear with my local vendor that supplies the motherboard what he means.

My one of two SM mobo has 2 pieces 12V connectors that supply power to four CPUs. The voltage here, out from the PSU via one EPS-12V is about the same as on the contact that is to be split in to two EPS-12V connectors if one use for example the 6180se, so I can not really se the difference, and there is only one rail for all 12V. And do not the CPU get any power through the socket from the 24pin as well ? The same goes for my Tyan S8812 4P, which also only has 2 pieces EPS-12V connectors.

If I'm however are wrong here, please arrest me immediately!!:D

Last edited:
That's the beauty of the AX1200..... ONE enourmous 12V (100A) rail.... so you never have to worry about load balancing. PCIE, EPS12... whatever.... its the same rail. Most other power supplies, you would be right to be concerned about balancing.

That's the beauty of the AX1200..... ONE enourmous 12V (100A) rail.... so you never have to worry about load balancing. PCIE, EPS12... whatever.... its the same rail. Most other power supplies, you would be right to be concerned about balancing.

IMO All good PSU's should have just one 12v rail. Much simpler that way.

Back