quick shutdown issue...

jwill

2[H]4U
so im putting together this system for my dad...

asus a7n8x-e deluxe
corsair xms pc3200 256mb
msi ti4200 128mb vivo
antec trueblue 350w
clear acrylic case

when i power it up, after about 2-3 seconds it shuts down with the power LED still on at the front of the computer. i can even hold down the power switch and it acts like its on and shuts down the power LED like it would normally.

ive checked all the connections, double checked the system panel connections, reset the cmos several times, cpu fan connected, ide drive jumpers, ide cables.

the system is powered on with only the following, video, mouse, keyboard, and power.

what could cause this auto shutdown issue to happen? thanks for you help.

hmm, have you tried a different PSU?

is everything seated correctly?

have you tried mounting your motherboard outside of the case? Perhaps a rogue screw is shorting out your motherboard as it makes contact between the case and your motherboard?

much luck to you.

Originally posted by Carnival Forces
hmm, have you tried a different PSU?
not yet.
is everything seated correctly?
heatsink=yes, memory=yes, video card=yes, cables=yes.

have you tried mounting your motherboard outside of the case? Perhaps a rogue screw is shorting out your motherboard as it makes contact between the case and your motherboard?

much luck to you.
the stand offs with this case are quite long and since the case stand vertical id take quite a large screw to get stuck in between. also being a clear case makes it easy to see if there is anything in between.

also note im using a nexus 101 to monitor temps and fan speed. temp and fan speed are reported on startup. temp reads 24c on start up and fan speed goes up to 300x10 rpm before fans shut down. interesting how i was going to say 'when power shuts down' but thats not the case. seems power is still there since the power LED stays on, on the board and the front of the case.

good and bad news.

doesnt auto shutdown anymore after re-seating the heatsink. but its not seeming to boot yet. im still working out though.

also temp goes up to 32c and stays there while on.

ok i got it.

forgot to set my cmos back to default pins. also had my fsb jumper at 200 instead of default (although the cmos im sure was the problem without booting).

so all and all, it was my fault. heatsink wasnt seated properly.

thanks Carnival Forces for your help. i really appreciate it.

Back