• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quick sanity check before ordering

Yegil

n00b
Joined
Oct 29, 2004
Messages
45
Please review the following and let me know what you think:

AMD Opteron 165 Denmark
eVGA 7800 GT
2 Gigs Corsair Value Ram
Biostar Tforce mobo
Aspire X-Qpack
WD 250KS HD
Enermax Liberty 400 Watt
Zalman 7000B
Lite-on 160-P6S DVD burner
NEC Floppy

This all comes to roughly $1200. I was thinking about dropping the AMD 165 and going with either a 3200 or a 148 to save cash. I figure those two proc's would OC almost as well; I just wouldn't have dual core. I mainly game so I didn't know if I really needed dual core yet. Thoughts on that?

I also don't have a sound card. If I drop the AMD 165 and go with one of the other proc's I could get the the entry level x-fi. Once again for gaming is it worth it to upgrade from onboard to the x fi?

I appreciate all comments :)

-YEGIL
 
rgr,

its actually sitting in the checkout box. I need to edit my orginal post.
 
Hmm, X-Fi or onboard for gaming, that is a tough one since it comes down to preference, I use headphones (My PC is in the living room with the TV) so the onboard sound works great for me...But My friend will tell you to go with Soundcard to take the work off the CPU & have better sound quality. So like I said, it is really a matter of opinion.
 
Stick with onboard sound, most people can't tell the difference. Onboard sound doesn't suck up much clock cycles as one would think.
 
coffee33 said:
Stick with onboard sound, most people can't tell the difference. Onboard sound doesn't suck up much clock cycles as one would think.
Plus, you have a dual-core so you will notice it even less.

Go for it, and forget the X-Fi for now.
 
Back
Top