quick recovery problem

hacktor2

Limp Gawd
I am fixing a Compaq presario 2500 laptop and I decided to use the quick recovery CD's that it comes with. The thing is, when I get to 80% it automatically shutsdown. I've tried 3 times and it has done the same thing. What could be the problem?

Is the HDD working properly? Or maybe it just heats up by the time it get to 80% that it shuts down

I suppose I could try that. I know when I change from the 3rd to 4th cd the 3rd cd is pretty hot. Probably hotter then it should be.

You might try letting it cool off between disks. Just let it sit a while at the change disk prompt.
Years ago I had to let a desktop machine take a break in the middle of installing Windows NT 4.0. The CD-Rom drive kept overheating and getting errors. I'm not sure if NT used .cab files or not, but there were a ton of little files on the disk. The drive overheated after doing constant random access for 20 minutes or so. It'd come up with a disc error, and I just opened the drive tray and let it sit for a half an hour or so at the "retry/ignore/fail" prompt. After it cooled off it was able to finish the install.
In your case I'm guessing it's probably the CPU that's getting hot. The backup disks are probably compressed, forcing the processor to do some work to decomress them.
Still, this is indicative of a cooling problem. If you're comfortable doing so you might want to have a look at the cooling system. On a good day maybe it'll just be clogged with dust & need a cleaning.

Back