Quick questions about the raptor

Vlad335

Gawd
I am more than likely going to purchase the 74Gig WD Raptor today. Totally new to SATA so here are the inevitible dumb questions...

Powering this thing.
Do they use the standard 4 pin molex? The pic on newegg appears that they do but I see other sites like xoxide offering a SATA power adaptor with their PSU's.

The SATA drivers.
I understand that you use a floppy with SATA drivers on it to set up a Windows install. Any guides on how to do this? Where can I find these drivers.I checked my MB site and they don't offer any.

Thats all I can think of now.

Raptors have molex and sata power connectors. only use one or the other or you will fry the drive.

What motherboard do you have? Not all require you to load the drivers during install. You'll need to find them though if you do. It's pretty straigfht forward. Right at the blue screen part of the install it tells you to hit f6 to load additional drivers. This is within the first 30 seconds. Just follow the directions from there.

northbridge sata connections dont need drivers unless your using RAID, any other 3rd party chip you NEED drivers.

Back