Quick Question

jwl24

Limp Gawd
Well I currently have 16gb of this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231628

and was wanting to buy 16gb more to upgrade to a full 32gb, but it recently went discontinued.. and I was thinking possible to drop this ram and get a 32gb kit.. now my question is, this memory i currently have 1600 with the cas of 7.

My question is if I get a 32gb kit, what memory should I get? I don't know what is better to go after, I see the 2400 memory, which is the highest you can get, but then they have high CAS times, im not quite sure how to go about this. If I should go with a 2400, and a high CAS time, or 1600 and a lower CAS time, looking to get some of the best if possible...

Or stick with what a i have, not quite sure.

Supposedly ivy bridge likes more MHz with less impact from CAS timings, and SB likes CAS timings with less impact from MHz.

Either way if you buy the 2400MHz stuff you can always knock the frequency down and tighten up the timings - and you may be able to under volt as well.

Supposedly ivy bridge likes more MHz with less impact from CAS timings, and SB likes CAS timings with less impact from MHz.

Either way if you buy the 2400MHz stuff you can always knock the frequency down and tighten up the timings - and you may be able to under volt as well.

Well I'm using the i7 3930k, so what would you propose in this situation? Also using the Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Better yet, would would be the best memory situation to go with? I'm either looking at getting 32GB or 64GB, either of the two would be sufficient.
With that being said, I don't really know if I should get 1600/1833/2133/2400, or anything of that for that matter. I personally would just automatically assume the 2400 would be the best? Then they got the timings...? Going for 7/8/9/10/11/12 , I'm wanting some top class, fast, powerful memory, that will provide me with some of the top of line the performance.

Just not sure what to go with, or what I should do. I'm sure 32GB is more than enough, but then I don't know what exactly to get for the CAS timing, or the MHZ. Hope someone can help.

Last edited:
I would get DDR3 1600 or DDR3 1866 if the cost difference is not that much. Over that the cost difference is not worth the average 1% of performance you can gain.

Extreme gaming on a multi-monitor set-up , streaming, browsing, stuff like that.

Then you don't need fast RAM at all. Get a DDR3 1333 or DDR3 1600 kit and be done with it. CAS timings do not matter.

Then what would be the use of the fast ram?

Someone who's interested in scoring the highest possible in synthetic benchmarks.
People who do number crunching such as Folding at home could see PPD increase from having tighter timings/faster RAM.

Gaming generally sees about a 1% (or less) benefit in tighter timings or faster RAM. Thus making it simply not worth the added costs. If you can get the faster RAM or RAM with tighter timings for the same price then go for it, otherwise it's not really worth the cost on an Intel platform.

I do believe AMD systems can see benefits with them more-so than Intel systems do.

Someone who's interested in scoring the highest possible in synthetic benchmarks.
People who do number crunching such as Folding at home could see PPD increase from having tighter timings/faster RAM.

Gaming generally sees about a 1% (or less) benefit in tighter timings or faster RAM. Thus making it simply not worth the added costs. If you can get the faster RAM or RAM with tighter timings for the same price then go for it, otherwise it's not really worth the cost on an Intel platform.

I do believe AMD systems can see benefits with them more-so than Intel systems do.

Ah, alright I understand now. Thanks for your response. I showed previously have I have the 16gb of CAS 7 of that g skill.
I was thinking of either getting another to get 32GB, or just buying another 32GB kit, with like 2400mhz with the cas of 10, and I really thought this would give me a huge performance increase in regards to gaming, streaming, etc. And this would be incorrect, and a waste of money right (to upgrade to the faster ram?) Same goes for getting another 16gb of what I have now?

Honestly I do not think that what you are doing with your PC, you'll see any kind of noticeable gains going with 32GB over your 16GB. I just upgraded my 8GB to 16GB at the beginning of the year and I haven't noticed a single iota of performance increase while doing so.

Though if you like to experiment, getting 32GB of RAM and setting 16GB to a RAM drive and using sym links to move some game files to that RAM drive could potentially speed up load times dramatically. I intend to play around with that, but I haven't yet.

HOWEVER, RAM is so cheap if you have the money to get 32GB then I say go for it. Software, games, etc... will continue to use MORE RAM in the future, I do not see them using less. So depending on how long you intend to keep your rig, it might benefit you down the road.

Though I would stick with DDR3 1333 or DDR3 1600 RAM if it were me. I even do Photoshop/Premier and video encoding on my rig, but I still wouldn't go for the faster RAM or tighter timings. The small increase in performance just isn't worth it.

Well I currently have that DDR3 1600 CAS 7 16GB. I could just buy another 16GB of the same to have the 32GB, it's not that expensive.

It is however expensive to get a 32GB Kit of 2400 CAS 10 memory, and if I wouldn't see a drastic performance increase there's no reason to do this over buying another 16GB CAS 7 1600.

The RAM nor the timings nor the speed have to match. In fact, are you even sure your RAM is running at 1600 CAS 7 to begin with? From what I can tell, unless you specify those speeds it runs the default speeds of what the CPU tells it to run which is most likely DDR3 1333.

The RAM nor the timings nor the speed have to match. In fact, are you even sure your RAM is running at 1600 CAS 7 to begin with? From what I can tell, unless you specify those speeds it runs the default speeds of what the CPU tells it to run which is most likely DDR3 1333.

Yeah I'm sure. It was running actually overclocked at 2000 MHZ CAS 7 I believe.

Well I currently have 16gb of this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231628

and was wanting to buy 16gb more to upgrade to a full 32gb, but it recently went discontinued.. and I was thinking possible to drop this ram and get a 32gb kit.. now my question is, this memory i currently have 1600 with the cas of 7.

My question is if I get a 32gb kit, what memory should I get? I don't know what is better to go after, I see the 2400 memory, which is the highest you can get, but then they have high CAS times, im not quite sure how to go about this. If I should go with a 2400, and a high CAS time, or 1600 and a lower CAS time, looking to get some of the best if possible...

Or stick with what a i have, not quite sure.

get and SSD first instead of adding more RAM mate

As a general rule, for PC Gaming, lower latency timings trumps and/or equals higher frequencies. Usually due to the fact that RAM bandwidth is difficult to max out with gaming alone.

Echoing the "get an SSD" advice. 16GB as it stands is sort of a luxury - the only reason you should ever entertain 32GB is if you're a CGI artist or Photoshop is how you make your living. You can't even really justify a RAMDisk anymore simply because SSDs are cheap and only getting cheaper.

Back