Quick Question... will this fugly mod work for my 360? Awesome photoshop picture!

Not sure if this is gaming or modding... but here it is:

I have the first gen xbox- which has surprisingly not RROD on me but I sit about 5-6 feet away from xbox, it's sounds like a whirlwind. So being the cheap resourceful self I am, I decided to mod it to be "more quiet"... I have some 120mm quiet fans lying around- and everybody knows 120mm=more air and quieter!

So I go online, great, all the opening tutorials require a special tool... where did I leave that dremel? So I decided to cut a large rectangle on the top of my xbox- and so I want to lay the two fans on top while ductaping the outside of the case and raising the xbox a little to create some channeling. Just seeing if my idea of wiring would suffice in terms of voltage and wiring. I'm trying to avoid soldering anything as I'm lazy and because it's not really "taken apart" I can't really take out the drive.

360board.JPG

What are the voltages of those wires?

Black is 99% of the time a ground.
Red is 99% of the time your primary voltage (5VDC for computers)
Yellow is 99% of the time your secondary voltage (12VDC for computers)
I'm not sure what blue and brown are. Voltage/RPM sensing possibly?

What I would do is connect both black wires of the fans together, and connect both red wires of the fans together, then attach black from the fans to black from the XBox, and do the same for the red.

That is assuming black is ground and red is 12VDC.

The 120mm fans, those are 3 pins, the yellow pin is the speed regulator which isn't necessary, and to be honest, I didn't check or multimetered the voltages coming out of the xbox but I figure as long as the fan spins, I'll be happy!

You need to know what the voltages are for those pins on the XBox. If you assume the blue wire is a ground, and really its an RPM sensing pin, then you've just burned out your XBox motherboard.

Also, the 2nd fan in your picture needs to have red to red, black to blue (assuming blue is indeed a ground).

Back