Quick question: Partitioning for Windows 10

steveak

Weaksauce
Hi,

Getting ready to install Win 10 in a completely new build this weekend. I've got a Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500 GB) that I'll be installing Windows on. When the Windows installer prompts me to create a new partition on the drive, how large of a partition should I create?

Or do I even need to create a partition?

The computer will be more of a workstation than a gaming machine, if that makes any difference.

By default it'll create a partition for the whole drive (and probably some other "hidden" ones for recovery, UEFI, etc.) so you can just let it do its thing if you feel like it.
I've always partitioned for the whole chabang and made image backups on a second drive, but different people have different philosophies.

Hi,

Getting ready to install Win 10 in a completely new build this weekend. I've got a Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500 GB) that I'll be installing Windows on. When the Windows installer prompts me to create a new partition on the drive, how large of a partition should I create?

Or do I even need to create a partition?

The computer will be more of a workstation than a gaming machine, if that makes any difference.
You do not have to create a partition. You click the "unallocated space" and press next. The system creates the recommend system and boot partitions. Putting your boot and system files in a single partition is not recommended (manually creating a single partition).

Where did you read/learn that you have to manually create partitions?

Thanks for the clarification. Don't recall where I read that, but I've been looking at various websites the past few days trying to make sure I'm up to speed so I don't accidentally screw anything up!

Why do you say that?
1) If it were better, Microsoft would have the installer do that by default. 2) Separate, secured partitions keeps the system/recovery files protected from tampering.

Back