quick question on Windows XP license

morgwon

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Windows XP Professional copy that I honestly dont remember how I got. It is in a cd sleeve with the following verbage on a label affixed on the front:

Window XP Professional English DIsk Kit CD
MFG Reference: AVTO 120503
Part Number: E85-00289

On the back it has the cd key on a yellow sticker and it also has a label that says the following:

Don't Lose This Number!
You must use it every time you install this software. So be sure to store this case in a safe place.
Unlicensed Software - Illegal without seperate license fron Microsoft.​

Now my question is does my CD key constitute my license? I had this installed on my server but I just recently converted to a Gentoo/MythTV setup. I want to make sure cause now that I dont need it anymore I was considering putting it up for sale on the forums for cheap. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Enrique

Edit: The holographic cd also says Not For Retail or OEM Distribution. Does this prevent me from possibly selling it? how bout trading it?

It shouldn't be a problem selling it. As long as it has a unique serial number there won't be any issues and whoever you sell it to will just have to call microsoft to validate the registration, say they're only using it on 1 comp and everything will be peachy-keen.

That is what is called an NFR (Not for Resale) copy of Windows XP. According to Microsoft you are NOT allowed to transfer ownership by any means. Typically you can get "free" stuff from M$ and this is a freebee; therefore, if M$ can't make money on it neither can you. I have around 10 of these laying around my house. I usually get them from M$ for free or from a M$ vendor.

Axeldoomeyer said:
That is what is called an NFR (Not for Resale) copy of Windows XP. According to Microsoft you are NOT allowed to transfer ownership by any means. Typically you can get "free" stuff from M$ and this is a freebee; therefore, if M$ can't make money on it neither can you. I have around 10 of these laying around my house. I usually get them from M$ for free or from a M$ vendor.

Do your also have cd keys affixed to them? or do you only have holographic media from Microsoft?

Yes. All of my NFR software has the Edge to Edge Hologram, and a yellow sticker with the product key affixed to the CD envelope.

If a M$ product is a valid OEM then it must have the COA hologram.

Here is what the COA's will look like.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

If you do not have a COA then it is most definately a NFR or non-legit.

I think M$ recently changed the NFR COA's but they are still marked as Not for Retail or OEM.

Hope this helps.

It sure does. I wouldnt want to sell it to someone when I am not supposed to. Thanks. Ha. I guess the cd key will just sit here unused.

Yeah, if it's an NFR what he wants to do is expressely forbidden.

-Larry

Axeldoomeyer said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Now I know it cant be sold so it wont.

Back