Quick question on reinstallation of Windows XP

Chowder Head

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I flashed my BIOS and recently have had a weird problem where my computer boots back up after I shut it down. I talked to MSI rep and he suggested there might be a problem with the ACPI function and said a reinstall of windows would fix it.

So my question is what reinstall should I go with to fix this? A repair reinstall or a complete reinstall.

Hopefully just the repair option should do it because I'll have to get rid of myWindows folder stuff which I would prefer not to do.

So do you guys think a simple repair reinstall would do it?

Thanks!

Chowder Head said:
So do you guys think a simple repair reinstall would do it?
Thanks!

Look in the BIOS setup for wakeup events. Most have settings which, if enabled, will turn your PC on it if the mouse moves, a key is pressed, on there is LAN activity, etc.

Whoops forgot to add that info. But yeah, that's the problem. When I turn that off and attempt to boot it, it tells me it was unsuccesful and my options are to either start in safe mode, start normally, or start with last known good configuration. I tried selecting start normally but it kept re-occuring so I had to go back and turn it on.

So now I'm hoping just a simple repair uninstallation would do it. Do you guys think that will do it?

Thanks.

Well since I can't remember my admin password for some reason, I guess I'll just do a complete, destructive one.

Now besides my Documents and Settings folder, what else do I need, or should, back up before I wipe it clean?

And I just noticed we have a seperate page for operating systems. If someone could move this there, I'd appreciate it. Sorry.

Any help is once again appreciated, thanks!

Chowder Head said:
Now besides my Documents and Settings folder, what else do I need, or should, back up before I wipe it clean?
It's your computer, so only you can answer that. I always prefer to take a ghost image of the drive before I wipe it, just in case I forgot something.

Whoops, sorry, that came out wrong.

What I really meant was when I do the reinstallation of XP, what files get whiped out? The entire C: drive?

If I were to make a ghost image, are they realitvely easy to make? I've never done one before so I'm unsure.

Thanks.

reinstalling xp will wipe everything. from what i've read making a ghost image is relatively easy. i haven't tried it out myself, but im sure someone here will be more than happy to give you the how-to.

Reinstalling windows XP won't wipe out your disk unless you tell it to.

There are at least 3 different ways to reinstall windows XP.

* A fresh install after a format - this will wipe your disk.
* A repair install which will attempt to fix problems. Your current applications will not have to be resintalled because the registry is not deleted.
* A overwrite install which will resintall windows w/o a format. This will require you to resintall your applications again because it will wipe your registry. The application diretories will still be there but they'll problem not work correctly. Your existing documents directory will not be deleted - I think it'll create a new documents and settings name.

You know what, I think I want to try one last shot at finding out my admin password before I do this.

Now my question would be is there any software that finds out the password for you without using a floopy drive, since I don't have one?

Also, is there a default password that gets entered or something? Because this is the first password I've forgetten in several years.

Thanks guys.

Back