• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quick Question on Folding in Ubuntu

amang

n00b
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
30
So I am into folding with Linux recently using Ubuntu 10.10.

Is Ubuntu 12.04 any better than Ubuntu 10.10? I am using 6.34 client at the moment with Ubuntu 10.10 and would like to know if it's worthy to switch to 12.04, PPD-wise of course :D

Also, does the Kraken have anything to do with the version of Ubuntu I use? :confused:
 
12.04 is "better" in that it is a supported release. 10.10 is not. You will not have any issues with 10.10 unless you need to install some new software, which will be difficult. If everything run fine now, there is no ppd-related reason to reinstall with 12.04.

Thekraken is version-independent.
 
I wouldn't change it if its a dedicated folder.
 
I'm running three dedicated folders on Ubuntu 10.10. The only reason I would consider updating to 12.04 would for the curiosity of trying something 'new.'
 
I'm running three dedicated folders on Ubuntu 10.10. The only reason I would consider updating to 12.04 would for the curiosity of trying something 'new.'

Hehe and to go through the learning curve of finding everything they moved in 12.04, I am still having to hunt for all the stuff on 12.04 :confused:
 
Thanks guys. Will it make any difference (ppd-wise) if I switch to client v7 in Ubuntu 12.04?
 
Thanks guys. Will it make any difference (ppd-wise) if I switch to client v7 in Ubuntu 12.04?

We do not advise using v7 in Linux. Most of us don't use it and will not use it until we absolutely have to - which is hopefully never. There is zero benefit in going to v7, and the main downside is that no one around here can help you with it.
 
Wow.... that sounds a bit stern. Thanks for the input. :)
I never really like v7 anyway. I'm just checking if I should stick to 6.34.
 
I use v7 on all my Linux boxes, and love it. It is honestly a LOT easier to use/manage. It is also a LOT easier to monitor.
 
Most of my Linux machines are still v7. I converted 2 of them over that were folding 33:00 TPF on P8101, to the CLI 6.34 using the MuskyMod.

Now I just need some P8101's to pop up. If there is a more than a 5% change, then I will do the others.

But if it's 5% or less gain? Then I go back to v7. It's simply easier to see how and what the machine is doing.
 
You can easily ramdisk v7...

I run a v7 client on my linux boxes, and they run ubuntu, and I use a little separate partition that runs ext3 (where as / uses ext4) to avoud the slowdown from ext 4.

All you need to do is make /var/lib/fahclient/ (or just /var/lib/fahclient/work/ for JUST the work) be on a ramdisk. You could even use your little scrips to copy the data back and forth just like the v6 client.

In my case I just have a 1GB or 2GB partition specifically formatted as ext3 and mounted at /var/lib/fahclient/, and that is in my fstab of course, but you could easily use a ramdisk and scripts and whatnot.

Honestly I like the v7 client way more. Out with the old, in with the new!


Regarding speed, they use the EXACT same core's and whatnot, I mean it is litterally the exact same binaries, so they should go at exactly the same speed. If you see any difference in TPF's then you either have a problem or mis-configuration.
 
v6.34 is not faster than v7, so if that is what you are expecting, you will be sadly disappointed. The primary reason to NOT use v7 right now is that there is no good way to use a ramdisk with it, and the FAH client has write issues with any Linux file system.

Is there a guide for setting up a ramdisk for folding?
 
Thanks, and can I expect that it will work on both amd and Intel systems?
 
Back
Top