• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quick Question, OC/Temp related

Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
38
Ok so i just swapped out my stock CPU fan for a Scythe Kama Cross. I open prime95 to put it under load and at a 20%OC the temperatures are varying between 80 and 95 degrees centigrade. I've got a feeling this is a little too warm for my tastes. Anyone have any input?

CPU-Core2Quad Q6600 Kentsfield G0
Thermal Interface-Arctic Silver 5
 
Reset the sink. Do something. Thats to hot!!!!!

My Q6600 is at 3.6 ghz all cores loaded 100% with folding@home, 63c to 57c across the slugs. Big typhoon on the job with a 120mm fan. Puter room is hot @ 78f with three rigs folding for all they are worth. I start to get concerned once I start breaking 70c cpu temps. A can of air fixs that real fast. :)

What were the temps on the stock sink?
 
After looking at a review of that heatsink, it has a horrible setup. But that should not be giving you that high of temps.

Make sure to reseat it.... you did use thermal paste... right?

If you want to improve the cooling performance of that cooler, make a triangle shaped block off for each side of the setup so it will actually be made to force air through the fins. I am thinking a 10c temp drop is not out of the question. And blocking off almost all of the space in the very middle between the two fin arrays should help a bit also.

Thing is.. it could be a very good cooler.. but not with the stock setup.
 
Make sure to reseat it.... you did use thermal paste... right?

If you want to improve the cooling performance of that cooler, make a triangle shaped block off for each side of the setup so it will actually be made to force air through the fins. I am thinking a 10c temp drop is not out of the question. And blocking off almost all of the space in the very middle between the two fin arrays should help a bit also.

Yeah, I used AS5. I'm beginning to think that this fan is too much hassle for the worth. It was a bitch to get in to the case, too. What do you mean by block it off? I understand what you're saying but how would i go about doing it?


psyshack:
Stock fan temps under stress peaked at about 80, that's with grease paste. Not as5. I think i'm gonna clean em off and just use the stock fan again, this is complete crap.
 
For test purposes.. and even long term for that matter, cardboard and scotch tape work pretty well.
 
Sorry for double post, but i've decided to buy a new better fan. Any recommendations?

New fan, or new heatsink? If you're after a new heatsink, then I recommend the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with the extra bolt-through kit.
 
New fan, or new heatsink? If you're after a new heatsink, then I recommend the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with the extra bolt-through kit.

Heatsink/fan combo


To everyone who helped me out, here was the problem. I was following the directions on how "to properly apply" AS5, but it turns out that there wasn't enough thermal paste between the sink/fan and the processor. I've decided that I'm going to apply it just like any other TIC: A uniform, thin layer. Cores are now idling at an avg. temp (there are four of them) of 39 C (peak 43) and after ten minutes of Large FFT (The high heat one) torture testing, which I acknowledge isn't that long, the average temperature was 67.5 degrees peaking at 73.

Again, thanks to everyone. I'm still looking for a new sink/fan combo but after the lousy performance from this Kama Cross i'm a bit wary to swap out from the stock fan again.
 
Back
Top