Quick question: Linksys WMP54G or WMP54GS Wireless-G PCI Card?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Is the Linksys WMP54GS Wireless-G PCI Card with SpeedBooster really better than the Linksys WMP54G Wireless-G PCI Card?

I don't know if I should purchase the WMP54GS or the WMP54G for a desktop for one of my friends. It's going to be connected to a Linksys WAP54G Wireless-G Access Point (not the SpeedBooster version). But, does the WMP54GS have a better antenna? Also... it's only a $10 difference, and if in the future it'll help, I rather put in the 10 bucks... it's not the end of the world, ya know?

Just wanted to hear your opinion... thanks!

Lukas

Even when speedbooster works, it isn't all that.

They advertise 125mb, but it isn't even close. 54mb max actual throughput is near 30mbps, the best I've heard of the 125mb is 40mbps.

RavinDJ said:
Is the Linksys WMP54GS Wireless-G PCI Card with SpeedBooster really better than the Linksys WMP54G Wireless-G PCI Card?

I don't know if I should purchase the WMP54GS or the WMP54G for a desktop for one of my friends. It's going to be connected to a Linksys WAP54G Wireless-G Access Point (not the SpeedBooster version). But, does the WMP54GS have a better antenna? Also... it's only a $10 difference, and if in the future it'll help, I rather put in the 10 bucks... it's not the end of the world, ya know?

Just wanted to hear your opinion... thanks!

Lukas

But is the range any better on the SpeedBooster???

Nope, as a matter of fact, most people disable speedbooster to improve stability and increase range.

These PCI adapters look expensive to me, and as they'll bury the antennae at the back of the computer case, they could have inferior reception. A detachable antennae or USB device could be better for this reason.

A bit off the wall, but FYI:

I'd personally tend towards a Buffalo WHR-G54S with DD-WRT in client bridge mode for stationary applications. Once it's flashed (which can be a bit tricky; take care), it's a lot easier to deal with; the positioning is more flexible; the firmware is very flexible and allows power increasing, speedboost, etc., etc. It's also cheaper.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030276706&postcount=3

Edit: Also FYI, DD-WRT supports at least some versions of the WAP54G. With it, you should be able to get Speedbooster if really want it. As this is even more unusal than putting DD-WRT on a WRT54GL, etc., I'd read around before trying it, checking versions, etc. I wouldn't really be surprised if very similar underlying hardware was sold once as a router, and another time as an AP, etc., and so third-party firmware can enable the other functionality. Also, for simple client mode wireless bridging and many other cases, it's not necessary to flash or change the main AP/router, so I only mention this FYI, and I think you should not attempt to alter the firmware unless you have some clear benefit and can take the risk.

Cheapest for the best performance, Buffalo WHR G54S with DD-WRT in client mode.

Much better reception than you'll get with a PCI card, better placement options, more control over the wireless.

The only catch is another power brick, which isn't a huge wall wort like the rest of them, more like the laptop power adapters.

Back