Quick question: is this normal?

Rhialto

Gawd
Just got a Corsair HX520W and computer case but the motherboard will come in tomorrow.

So meanwhile I decided to start installing it and wanted to test the fans (from case, not PS) so I plugged the fans and turned power on but nothing. Is it because there is no load or there is no motherboard that the PS won't power the fans alone? The fan from the PS do not spin and I know this is normal.

I just hope it's not DOA.

That's normal. The psu has to get a power on signal from the motherboard to turn on, so it won't power anything unless you have it plugged into a motherboard.

Usually the power will kick on for a very short time, like less than a 1/2 second before it shuts off. But probably normal.

How did you turn it on? If its not connected to the MB you have to ground the Green wire on the ATX connector, otherwise it won't even try to power up.

How did you turn it on? If its not connected to the MB you have to ground the Green wire on the ATX connector, otherwise it won't even try to power up.

I'd like to try this but I'm not sure how to exactly and don't want to blow it up.

psu wont work unless its powered on by mobo or shorted with green wire... nothing wrong with psu.

Ok guys, how hard is it to type this sentence:

What you need to do is take a paper clip and use it to connect the green wire to any black wire on the main ATX motherboard plug, then flip the switch. The PSU should power on.

Yeah that's normal. Just use a paperclip between the green wire and a black wire on the motherboard connector.

I wonder if he's got it now? :rolleyes: ;)

Back