Quick Question: How much heat will a SB add to a loop?

Joni Nitro

Gawd
I am noticing the my SB is getting a little warm. I have an Asus Rampage Formula and removed all the nb/sb heatsinks to watercool the NB. I have thought about getting another block to add the SB. I replaced the stock hs with a copper low profile one. I am running Xfire and my MB sits upside down so there isnt a lot of airflow. I would add another heatsink if I new it would fit and cool it enough, but I am afraid of what fits in there.

probably less than 10w. At hte same time, the odds of it affecting your stability are minimal and tubing is going to take up at least as much space as any little fan you kludged onto it. UNless you compromised its cooling by removing an NB/PWM sink it was connected to via a heatpipe I wouldn't worry.

There are lots of offset tower style options like the Thermalright HR-03 that might fit in some orientations between or next to your cards. Look in to those. They'd be massive overkill for a southbridge, but if you're having heat problems overkill is the surest way to get rid of them. ;)

Back