Quick Question: CPU/RAM

Tweakin

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently purchased a system online and just got it a couple days ago. It was an Abit IS7-E, P4 2.4b, and 512mb DDR400 package. After getting everything up and running, I noticed the BIOS was reporting the memory to be DDR333. I ran CPUZ which also confirms this.

So, I contacted the company and asked if there was some confusion. They said the CPU (cpu- not motherboard) does not support DDR400. Is this true, does a P4 2.4b not support DDR400? I have never heard of such a thing.

So true (i need to learn more about CPU's) or False (i am probably getting scamed)?

thanks for any help. Also, if it turns out i am getting scamed (i do have this feeling... after talking with their 'tech support') I will of course release the name of the company :p

The P4 2.4B has a 533 MHz bus, which is DDR333. The "C" revisions of the P4 has the 800 MHz bus, DDR400.

Must...control....rage....

Okay, once again...memory runs at the speed it is set at in the BIOS. The motherboard doesn't reconfigure itself magical with new diviers to run the memory at the speed it is set at.

You have your BIOS divider set at 4:5 (CPU:RAM).

Your processor runs at 533 Mhz (4x133) which places your memory at 333 Mhz (2x166). Memory can always downclock, so it's completely compatible. Your going to have to change the dividers and OC quite a bit to run the memory at a full 400 MHz.

I'm really searching for why there are so many threads like this??!??!?!

Originally posted by djnes

I'm really searching for why there are so many threads like this??!??!?!

youre searching because searching has been disabled.

Thanks for the replies, learn something new everyday :)

sorry for any rage I caused ;)

Originally posted by tdg
The P4 2.4B has a 533 MHz bus, which is DDR333. The "C" revisions of the P4 has the 800 MHz bus, DDR400.
533/2 = 266, silly person.

You're running the highest async memory divider available, which is 4:5. Don't worry about it.

Also, you're on an IS7; are you running dual channel? If so, set it to 1:1. You're screwing yourself up by running async past what you actually need to keep your processor busy.

Originally posted by Stiletto One
533/2 = 266, silly person.

533 / 4 (QUAD pumped) = 133
DDR 333 / 2 (because it's DDR) = 166

Not sure what you're getting at?

Edit: Okay, nevermind, I'm an idiot... I can't read... Forgive me :p

Back