Liquid_Cooled
Gawd
- Joined
- Sep 28, 2004
- Messages
- 793
I know aluminum and copper in the same loop will cause corrosion (if you just use water), but will copper and brass corrode (if you just use water)?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
meh.....our old place had copper pipes and cast iron rads. had to put in boiler additive every year to deal with corrosion.AreEss said:Take a look at the plumbing in an older house. No, not lead, that's too old.
Mostly copper and brass. In my home, I have hot water heat (radiators), which are copper pipes with aluminum fins along them.
DFI Daishi said:meh.....our old place had copper pipes and cast iron rads. had to put in boiler additive every year to deal with corrosion.
key difference: the copper and the aluminium in you situation is not in the same liquid loop.
i understood that the copper and Al are not in liquid contact, that's why i noted that you situation is different from a watercooling loop.AreEss said:Actually, the aluminum isn't even in the loop at all. The radiator fins just slide over the copper, which is why it's actually damned inefficient - poor heat transfer.
But yah, cast iron and copper sounds bad.
Differing metals corrode when they're electrochemically dissimilar...the rate of corrosion is based on the difference in their anodic index...and the metal with the higher index is the one corroded. Copper and brass hare very similar V's (given brass is 60-70% copper depending on alloy), and so is aluminum and iron. Steel varies dramatically based on the particular alloy used...but none of them are close enough to copper to make it safe for use.Liquid_Cooled said:I know aluminum and copper in the same loop will cause corrosion (if you just use water), but will copper and brass corrode (if you just use water)?
masher said:They will still corrode...additives don't really protect against electrolytic corrosion. But it will be a very slow process.
If you're terribly concerned about it, drop a piece of zinc (or failing that, aluminum) in your reservoir. It'll act as a sacrificial anode and spare your brass totally.
masher said:They will still corrode...additives don't really protect against electrolytic corrosion. But it will be a very slow process.
If you're terribly concerned about it, drop a piece of zinc (or failing that, aluminum) in your reservoir. It'll act as a sacrificial anode and spare your brass totally.
Depends on whether its high brass or low brass, and how conductive the water is...I have no data on how effective those additives really are, but I suspect they, if anything, increase electrolytic corrosion. I would think it would take many months at least, but again the sacrificial anode trick is your best bet.Liquid_Cooled said:so approximately how long would you say the system would start to show signs of corrosion if i dont use a peice of zink (aluminum)? assuming I use anti-corrosive and change out the fluid every 6 months (but not not cleaning out the bloacks each time)?
There is no generic blend of corrosion inhibitors for all situations. Many additives use organophosphates. These work great for protecting iron and aluminum, but increase the rate of corrosion on copper and copper alloys (such as brass and bronze). Tolytriazole is excellent for protecting copper alloys, but isn't always included due to cost. Polyphosphates are an excellent general-purpose inhibitor, but perform _very_ poorly when both copper and iron are present.DFI Daishi said:i don't see why masher is saying that he believes they will worsten the rate of corrosion.
"ultra-pure electrolytic copper, and it is also silver nickel-plated."
Nickel matches copper's anodic index closer than brass even, so it wouldn't cause a problem. If the Ag-Ni alloy had a very high silver content, it could be a bit worse than brass, but not enough to be a major concern.alphakry said:this got me thinking... what about silver-nickel in a copper loop?
...could this cause a potential corrosion problem?
i stand corrected.masher said:There is no generic blend of corrosion inhibitors for all situations. Many additives use organophosphates. These work great for protecting iron and aluminum, but increase the rate of corrosion on copper and copper alloys (such as brass and bronze). Tolytriazole is excellent for protecting copper alloys, but isn't always included due to cost. Polyphosphates are an excellent general-purpose inhibitor, but perform _very_ poorly when both copper and iron are present.
As for a sacrificial anode forming harmful particles, you have to realize that additives utilize the same electrochemistry to protect against galvanic corrosion. Over time, they'll result in particles from film reversion, scale and sludge formation, and other factors. So flushing and/or filtering is just as essential in both cases.
No, you weren't incorrect. A good quality inhibitor additive would probably be fine...just that I have more faith when I know exactly whats being used.DFI Daishi said:i stand corrected.
Failed physics student...dropped out of grad school after a year. Now I work in an IP lab.just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living/what are you studying?
IP?masher said:Failed physics student...dropped out of grad school after a year. Now I work in an IP lab.
Intellectual Property.DFI Daishi said:
Don't I know it. At least changing majors is still feasible as an undergrad...by the time I realized I'd made a mistake, I didn't have the energy to start over...i wish that i had started where i am now, but things don't always work out thw way that you think they will.....
plywood99 said:Remember KISS, Keep It Super Simple.
Mark305TBI said:I always thought it was "Keep It Simple, Stupid."