• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quick question concerning fan power connector

Xee

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 18, 2004
Messages
2,020
I just finished my new build and powered it up for the first time. I was elated to see that it booted up without a problem until I noticed that the rear exhaust fan wasn't working. Before I start trouble-shooting on my own, I figured I'd post here and see if it's something obvious. I apologize in advance if I use any terms incorrectly.

The fan is an Antec 120mm Tricool fan with a 3-speed control switch and a 4-pin Molex connector for power (standard on the Antec 900). Instead of stretching a molex connector to the rear though, I used what I think is an adapter that came with a 120mm Scythe Minebea fan I bought for my heatsink. The "adapter" has a male and female 4-pin molex connector and a male and female 3-pin connector. Here's a picture of it:



I connected the fan's molex to one of the connectors on the adapter and connected the 3-pin female connector to an empty CHA_FAN connector on my mobo. Did I use it correctly? If so, is it possible that it's disabled in the BIOS by default (I forgot to check before I powered down and disconnected the fan)? Thanks in advance.
 
You did the exact opposite of what that adapter is for. It's designed to convert a 3-pin fan connector to molex. The two molex connectors are a passthrough; the female end is where the PSU plugs in and the male end is a spare connector for hooking up another device. The female 3-pin connector is where the 3-pin fan is supposed to be plugged in, and the 3-pin male is actually a 1-pin electrical connector which is used to monitor fan RPM through the motherboard (the yellow wire is an RPM monitor, the red and black are for power which that connector lacks).

Basically, you can't do what you're trying to do, because that adapter is wired for something completely different.
 
Back
Top