Quick Question-Censorship

apHytHiaTe

2[H]4U
What i don't get is that the word f4nb0y gets automatically censored, but curse words do not. Just doesn't make sense. Is f a n b o y simply more offensive than "dirty words"?

"fanboy" is a loaded word on these forums, and by that I mean it carries a specific, extremely negative connotation. It is by far more provocative than anything conventionally held obscene (hey, this is the internet). Calling someone an asshole or something else like it is rude and generic, but a computer related insult, especially with regard to brand loyalty, is what triggers flamewars. And flamewars are what the videocard forum needs far less of. I'm glad that its gone.

/waits for an admin to weigh in

Thanks, i was thinking along those lines. Woops hope i dont get in trouble for cracking the code ;)

BTW: how did u get your title?

apHytHiaTe said:
BTW: how did u get your title?

He didn't follow instructions. ;)

Our commander-in-chief frgmstr Kyle Bennet sometimes hands out custom titles when he's in the mood.

I want one. :(

workingnonstop said:
I want one. :(
And M11's title ought to warn you of the perils of this statement. On a Kyle's-whims scale of 1 to 10, with the Phantom Smash coming in around 7, that one is a negative-3.

I think i might have earned one. "official moron" but maybe ice czar was just kidding. (i hope not). Custom/embarrasing title=better than bland, "beige" title. Its kind of like a mod for my title.

What were we talking about? Oh, not censoring curse words. I just wondered, because its so easy to filter out "!!!!!!", but not other words that are potentially offensive.

BTW mods, good work on getting rid of the goat se, cuz i never saw it :eek: Phew!

Edit: workingnonstop, i feel like you just noobed me! i knew how you get one, but i was looking for an answer from the title owner, m11. since when did your name become m11? :confused: :eek: :D

apHytHiaTe said:
Edit: workingnonstop, i feel like you just noobed me! i knew how you get one, but i was looking for an answer from the title owner, m11. since when did your name become m11?

dupe account :D :p

M11 said:
"fanboy" is a loaded word on these forums, and by that I mean it carries a specific, extremely negative connotation. It is by far more provocative than anything conventionally held obscene (hey, this is the internet).
Exactly. Someone saying "fuck" doesn't offend my moral values at all. It doesn't make me feel stupid, it doesn't do anything to my emotions most of the time. However, if some one calls me a fan-boy, I'm immediately on the defensive. That type of thing starts flamewars.

Out of curiosity, what brought this question up?

M11 said:
having fun in the KC?

meh, it's only until tomorrow

Ok, let's keep it on topic.

I don't see the "censorship" as a problem (or even censorship)...just a way of avoiding problems by keeping conversations civil. The words that are !!!!!'d out are only asking for trouble when they're used, so it generally makes for less work for mods or admins because threads can stay on topic easier. :)

This forum could use all the help it can get to stop flame wars...the video card section is a perfect example. If the censorship helps then it should be kept.

Back