Quick Question About Upgrade to Win 7 From XP

Germz

Limp Gawd
I skipped Vista altogether and now I want to finally move to Win 7. I see these retail box upgrade versions of Win 7 for sale and i'm wondering if i'll be eligible for that upgrade as an owner of XP Professional OEM license. I can't seem to find any info on that, MS site doesn't say which OS version is required for the upgrade. I'm hoping to get the Pro version with both 32 and 64 bit CDs but i don't know whether i can even upgrade from XP Pro and if i can can i do it with an OEM license. Any one know?

I just upgraded from a Vista OEM to 7. Don't know if that answers your question but makes me think the chances are good.

In the case of XP, the Win 7 upgrade version can be used. As long the XP is activated, the upgrade will proceed but will perform a clean install.

It should move the system contents of your C drive (Windows, Program Files, and Documents and Users) to Windows.Old too.

I skipped Vista altogether and now I want to finally move to Win 7. I see these retail box upgrade versions of Win 7 for sale and i'm wondering if i'll be eligible for that upgrade as an owner of XP Professional OEM license. I can't seem to find any info on that, MS site doesn't say which OS version is required for the upgrade. I'm hoping to get the Pro version with both 32 and 64 bit CDs but i don't know whether i can even upgrade from XP Pro and if i can can i do it with an OEM license. Any one know?

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/upgrade_01.asp

Read these articles, all is answered.

Yes, you qualify, however XP can't be 'in place' upgraded to 7. It will have to be a complete ground up OS installation.

I am in the process of moving from XP to Win7 this weekend.

OEM is not upgrade, they are two different licenses(plus as stated, you must clean install anyway). I went with OEM as it was the least expensive and I needed some new HW anyway and this will be the last major HW upgrades I do to this machine unless I have a failure.

I bought a new HD, I switched the boot order too my new drive in BIOS. Then put in the OEM disk and did a clean install on that drive. Now I am dual booting by choosing boot order in BIOS. A little clunkier than using a bootloader, but this is just temporary and I don't have to mess with boot loader and removing it later.

Install was a breeze. You can even skip entering your key until you are ready to activate (or so it appears). I am waiting until I have all my new HW installed before I activate (you have 30 days).

Next turn on show hidden files/show system file etc... So you can see everything on old windows disk to copy over anything you need for your new setup.

So far I am very impressed by Win7 vs XP. I know it really doesn't benchmark faster, but once you shut off animations, everything feels faster/snappier than XP.

Thanks for all the responses. I don't care about saving my current XP install and settings and such. My documents are located on my storage drive anyway so its no big deal plus i do backups of my data all the time so i wont lose nothing. I don't mind doing a fresh install, in fact thats what i want. Judging by the posts here an upgrade from XP is permitted. The link posted by msny was very helpful, as there is a link in that article to yet another arcticle about the process of an XP upgrade to Win 7.

One thing i'm still not clear about is whether i can upgrade with my OEM license, looks like some yes and some no. Afterall, the upgrade version of Win 7 Pro is a retail version with 32 and 64 bit, i want to try the latter first and see if it works out. I'm just wondering if anyone else did an upgrade with an OEM license like i want

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. I don't care about saving my current XP install and settings and such. My documents are located on my storage drive anyway so its no big deal plus i do backups of my data all the time so i wont lose nothing. I don't mind doing a fresh install, in fact thats what i want. Judging by the posts here an upgrade from XP is permitted. The link posted by msny was very helpful, as there is a link in that article to yet another arcticle about the process of an XP upgrade to Win 7.

One thing i'm still not clear about is whether i can upgrade with my OEM license, looks like some yes and some no. Afterall, the upgrade version of Win 7 Pro is a retail version with 32 and 64 bit, i want to try the latter first and see if it works out. I'm just wondering if anyone else did an upgrade with an OEM license like i want

Actually there is an upgrade and a full retail version of WIndows 7. The upgrade version requires a previous Windows O.S. for activation, but you can still do a clean install with by doing the suggestions here: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp. The full retail version can do an upgrade and a clean install at the same time.

Usually an upgrade from Win XP to 7, the O.S. will not distingiush if you're previous O.S. is an OEM copy of a retail copy.

Yes you can. But why does it matter.

Isn't another OEM copy cheaper anyway and you won't have to worry about the verification glitching out?

Last edited:
Yes, the OEM version of XP Qualifies for Windows 7 Upgrade.

Back