Quick question about Unifi AP

VMAN244

n00b
I plan to implement one of these soon. I saw that it includes a proprietary PoE Injector. Can anyone tell me the length of the power cord for this injector? Just need to make sure some of the spare patch cables I have will work for hooking it all up (in terms of length).

It's about a foot long. Stupidly short. It's one of those styles that you find on a laptop adapter. The figure eight type but with 3 prongs.

Thanks !

One more question: the Ubiquity site says the Unifi AP is capable of reaching speeds of 300Mbps. I don't see how this is possible when the AP only has a 100Mbps port?

Thanks !

One more question: the Ubiquity site says the Unifi AP is capable of reaching speeds of 300Mbps. I don't see how this is possible when the AP only has a 100Mbps port?

Wireless is half duplex and it is also a shared medium. You won't be able to fully saturate the 100 mbps port. On mine, I max out with my laptop at 10MB/s. If there's more than just me using the AP, the speeds are even lower since it's a shared medium.

There's more information on the Ubiquiti forum of why a 10/100 port is enough on the Unifi. They'll be able to explain it better than me as well.

You can also use a toughswitch to power them as well, which is what I've done with a few units.

The 300mbit applies only to the gigabit model. Technically the AP itself can supply it, but the uplink can't. It's kinda like when you get DSL in a rural area. You might be getting 8mb up to the AFC but the AFC might only have 2 T1's as uplink so the most you'll ever get is 3m assuming nobody else is using it.

Wireless is half duplex and it is also a shared medium. You won't be able to fully saturate the 100 mbps port. On mine, I max out with my laptop at 10MB/s. If there's more than just me using the AP, the speeds are even lower since it's a shared medium.

There's more information on the Ubiquiti forum of why a 10/100 port is enough on the Unifi. They'll be able to explain it better than me as well.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. 300mbps in a perfect world, half duplex. So that makes the Access Point the equivalent of a 150mbps-ish hub because it's shared bandwidth. Add in signal degradation and sharing between multiple devices... In reality, the 100mbps physical port isn't that far off of the realworld performance of the AP.

Back