• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

quick question about the line in jack

Rahburt-33

Gawd
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
763
If I set the recording input to line in from the sound settings, then would it be possible to take the output from a guitar amp (headphone jack) and plug it into the line in on the back of my computer and thus record me playing? If so that would be awesome
The reason I am asking is because I don't want the amp to shock the computer =/
Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer
 
If the amp has a headphone-level output, that should be fine for the line-in jack. Likewise if there are RCA connections for an output, this should be a line-level signal. Do NOT connect any speaker outputs to the sound card! You're correct in believing that this would be way too much juice for it to handle.

The quality of the results you'll get this way is probably fairly limited, in the long run you might want to get an audio interface which is more closely tailored to your needs.
 
wait so i can't have speakers plugged in? and I'm using onboard sound card by the way
 
Huh? No, not what I meant.

I don't have any clue what guitar amp you're using or what outputs it has. If it has connections meant to go directly to speakers, do NOT use those for your sound card. It will probably break it if not actually set it on fire.

If it has RCA outputs or a headphone output, those are fine to use.
 
Lol its a fender amp like everyone else has =P
Ohh you mean for the big speakers

Yeah it specifically says headphones oin it, plus i have plugged computer speakers into the headphone jack
 
Back
Top