Quick question about swapping boards

samops03

Gawd
I have 2 pc's: one with an IP35-Pro and the other with a P5Q-Pro
Basically i want to swap the boards without reinstalling OS
They are both running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Will i have any problems? Driver issues?
Thanks

chipsets are close enough you "should" be able to without reinstalling OS, But it may require an activation call on both (thats not a big deal though as long as your OS's are legit)

ive switched my P5LD2 with my P5Q PRO before without problems. they were both asus boards but very different chipsets. if it does work, make sure to uninstall all the old chipset, audio, etc drivers and download the new ones from the asus website.

I actually did this with an ep45-ud3l and an ep45-ud3p and have had a heck of a time getting them both going again. Basically I have gone from two stable computers to one half working computer and another I can't even get to boot from an ubuntu disk...

I actually did this with an ep45-ud3l and an ep45-ud3p and have had a heck of a time getting them both going again. Basically I have gone from two stable computers to one half working computer and another I can't even get to boot from an ubuntu disk...

This is exactly what i imagined it would be like. Honestly im ready to completely reinstall one of them but the other is my server and i just recently installed Win7 so i would rather not do it again.

From the replies it seems like its a gamble, maybe it will work.... Maybe not.

Thanks for the help

If your server doesnt have all the latest windows updates, you could create an iso with all of them and performan an "upgrade" install when you switch to the other mobo. This is effectively a repair installation. Since you're ready to do a fresh install on the other system, just go ahead and do that. An alternative is to use a program like Acronis to backup your system for restore on dissimilar hardware, which effectively reverts the drivers to windows 7 default drivers.

If your server doesnt have all the latest windows updates, you could create an iso with all of them and performan an "upgrade" install when you switch to the other mobo. This is effectively a repair installation. Since you're ready to do a fresh install on the other system, just go ahead and do that. An alternative is to use a program like Acronis to backup your system for restore on dissimilar hardware, which effectively reverts the drivers to windows 7 default drivers.

The server does have all the latest updates, but what you're saying is that if i create an image and re-write it to the drive after switching the mobo.... The drivers would re install?

I thought that all the original drivers would also be imaged? Isnt an image an exact copy of the drive? Actually now that i read what you wrote again, is there actually an option in Acronis to do this? Install on dissimilar hardware?

Sorry, I wasnt very clear regarding the repair install. If you were running XP, all you'd need is an XP Installation CD with all the latest updates slipstreamed; then you'd perform a repair install, which would basically re-install default windows files such as important system files and drivers. With Vista/Win7, the installation process differs from XP in that it simply copies the entire installation image to the drive instead of installing individual files. Therefore, in order to perform the same type of repair install similar to XP, you'd need a Win7 installation DVD with all the latest updates slipstreamed, and use the upgrade option during setup.

Yes, Acronis has that option.

Just a quick heads up for anyone else who is looking to do this:
To perform an image and restore with Windows 7 and Acronis True Image you will need:
Acronis True Image Plus Pack (Universal Restore)
When creating image you will need to include "System Reserved" partion, or else you will not be able to restore with the "Universal Restore" option.

Back