• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quick Question about Q8200/Intel Quads

ClariorHincHonos

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
1,972
Pretty normal to have varying core temps?

56C
44C
38C
42C

Is what I have at idle. Not too worried as it is 17 hours prime stable.
 
Are you sure something wasn't just loading one core? Automatic-updates or a virus scan?

If not it might mean you mounted your heatsink poorly or applied the thermal paste incorrectly.
 
run prime95 and watch temps
if they vary from core to core by a lot (>5C) , you should probably reseat your HSF
 
The temperature sensors on these CPUs were not designed to give accurate core temperatures, especially at idle. Intel only designed these sensors to control thermal throttling and thermal shutdown and pretty much all of them are good at that.

These sensors frequently get stuck. Your first sensor might have that problem. The RealTemp CPU Cool Down Test can give you a better look at how your sensors respond at different loads.

If you're 17 hours Prime stable I wouldn't worry too much about your reported temperatures.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip
 
Varying temperatures are normal even if your sensors aren't stuck. There are a number of reasons why it might be happening, but in the end it all boils down to the fact that it's perfectly normal and you have nothing to worry about.
 
Cool. That's what I figured. FWIW, cores 1-3 were dead even during prime, core 0 was about 10 degrees higher however. But, like I mentioned its 17 hours, so I think I'll just write it off as an oddball core. Thanks for the input and feedback.

Got this about 3-4 months ago for $100 btw-brand new. :D
 
Back
Top