quick question about mixing ram...

(cf)Eclipse

Freelance Overclocker
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Messages
30,027
well.. that's registered ecc ram... unless she has a server mobo that requires that type, it's not gonna work :(

what's the rig we're talking about?
 

Cthulhu

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 1, 2003
Messages
394
(cf)Eclipse said:
well.. that's registered ecc ram... unless she has a server mobo that requires that type, it's not gonna work :(

what's the rig we're talking about?

ah... i see. thanks for the reply. yeah, it's just a 2.4b p4 system. :)
 

E4g1e

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
7,286
Cthulhu said:
ah... i see. thanks for the reply. yeah, it's just a 2.4b p4 system. :)

Of all the DDR chipsets for a 533MHz FSB Socket 478 P4, only the i875P chipset supports ECC memory. And none of the Socket 478 chipsets support registered memory.

However, it is highly likely that the 2.4B sits on an i845PE chipset-based mobo, in which case you'll have to stick with unbuffered non-ECC memory.
 

Cthulhu

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 1, 2003
Messages
394
E4g1e said:
Of all the DDR chipsets for a 533MHz FSB Socket 478 P4, only the i875P chipset supports ECC memory. And none of the Socket 478 chipsets support registered memory.

However, it is highly likely that the 2.4B sits on an i845PE chipset-based mobo, in which case you'll have to stick with unbuffered non-ECC memory.

yeah....no, it's on a abit it7-max2 v2.0...if i remember correctly. it's been over 2 years now since i built it. :D thanks for the info. :)
 
Top