quick question about gamma

itachi183

Limp Gawd
Hey, I'm wondering about the gamma test over at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php

do they mean it should be as closely matched to the two big fat lines sticking out at 2.2, or the thing with the little grids going down it?

Also, should the colors at 2.2 blend in perfectly? right now mines a bit off, like at the darkest 2.2 the little sticks are lighter. How do I adjust the gamma, through Nvidia control panel? Cause there's no option in my monitor settings

Right, 99.99% of monitors don't have gamma adjust...

You should back away from the screen, and where you see the doublewide dash at 2.2 -- well the 5 vertical bands should look the same about right there, not lighter or darker.

There is a gamma slider in the nVidia control panel, but the steps are so large. It needs finer control. You can get a calibration kit to adjust the video card's Look Up Table (LUT). Both are less than ideal, since you lose available values.

If you need the correct gamma for pro reasons, you get a monitor with a programmable LUT. That way you don't lose any of the 8-bit space over the DVI link...

Thanks for explaining that to me, I don't really need it perfect, but atleast around 2.1 - 2.3 would be nice, I was using someone elses gamma profile last night and it looked like the test was around 2.2, but now that's it's daytime it looks like it's at 2.4 gamma, does it change depended on lighting conditions?

oh and, if one color is at 2.2, will the rest be at 2.2? Is the multiply colors there just to help people having a hard time seeing if it's correct on one color, or do they all adjust differently?

Hey, I tried adjusting it myself with advance mode in Nvidia CP

Here's a screenshot:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5147/03012009235921.jpg

I used this as main reference image: http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/2point2.htm
I manage to get all the squares pretty darn close, and in the lagom test I get about
2.2 - 10%
2.15 - 25%
2.2 to 2.4 on the 48% (somehow it looks different for each color, the white one looks 2.2, the red one looks 2.4)

but despite all that, I was just wondering if that's a normal graph for gamma, I barely changed anything in the path, the slightest movements changed the gamma alot. Overall from before and after it seems just a tad bit darker. Seems like I'd of gotten the same effect of lowering the brightness of my screen down a few, is this nvidia thing accurate for adjusting gamma? I think it mightive just adjusted the brightness or something..

Nope, you've got to adjust each color individually. Yeah, crazy pro places use rooms with LCD hoods, and purposely built room light that doesn't change, with room light bulbs that are of a particular dimness and color temperature!

Even if you get the gamma right, then there's the whole issue of gray scale quality, and proper shades and saturation... it goes on forever...

Nope, you've got to adjust each color individually. Yeah, crazy pro places use rooms with LCD hoods, and purposely built room light that doesn't change, with room light bulbs that are of a particular dimness and color temperature!

Even if you get the gamma right, then there's the whole issue of gray scale quality, and proper shades and saturation... it goes on forever...

Darn, I guess that's the advantage of getting one of those calibrating tools, I'm fine with it as it is now though lol

Back