Quick question about ATX pinout

CompuG##K

Gawd
I probably already know the answer to this, but I just want to make 100% sure before I go blowing something up.

I'm getting ready to shorten and sleeve the cables on my Sugo SG08's power supply and I was trying to think of a way to mark where the wires go in the ATX connector.

Other than the wires that carry a signal and have their own dedicated spot on the connector, can the wires that actually carry current be interchanged within their respective voltages?

I don't have to put each volt and ground wire EXACTLY where it originally went do I? Just as long as I match up the 12v wires with the 12v spots on the connector and do the same with 5v and 3.3v and the ground wires I should be good, right?

The power supply has a single 12v rail if that makes a difference.

Right. But if you ever need to be 100% sure, open up the PSU and check the copper foil areas where the wires are soldered.

Even if it had multiple rails, it wouldn't make a difference, since the ATX plug would come off of one rail anyways. So yeah, the wires can be interchanged.

Cool. Thanks guys. I was 99.8% sure of that, just wanted to make sure anyway. In any case though, I'll probably just cut to length, crimp, and sleeve the wires one at a time since I won't be able to see the color of them after I get the sleeving on (I got a pretty dense weave). I picked up new "one piece" connectors because I didn't like the split 20+4 pin and 4+4 pin connectors that came with the power supply. I'll just insert the wires into the correct spot on the new connector as I go, ensuring they all end up in the right place.

Back