quick question about a possible upgrade..

Cthulhu

Limp Gawd
in your opinion, do you think it would be worth me upgrading from my sapphire radeon 9500pro to this?

yeah, i know it's a faster card... but real world performance wise, do you all think it'd be worth it? my specs are P4 2.4B, abit it7 max2 ver. 2.0, 512megs of pc2700. thanks in advance. :D

your 9500 seems to work well with posting in the forums...i say stick with it...unless you tell us what you're doing with your computer...

you can get a 9800 pro for less than 30 more than that on newegg... dont go with that. and with your system specs id be more inclined to upgrade other parts of your computer instead of the videocard. (new ram mb cpu) but the 9800 pro for under 230 is a great deal

I see threads like this... and I remember people just getting into the Acadamy, and going out and dropping $600+ on a brand new firearm... and they can't shoot yet.

Sure.. go out and practice with the weapon till you get good, and ruin the barrel with all the range fireing. :(

I guess what I'm saying is, work on the foundation for your performance, then worry about the enhancements.

To exspand on what doggydaddi was saying.Is there any game out yet that your 9500 cant play smoothly @ least @1024x768 with AA+AF enabled?If your answer is no then i would look at maybe upgrading other parts of your system;)

depends on what you are going to do with comp ...if you game, are games not running good for you or something?

..I'd wait un an upgrade

yes, i'm talking about gaming. i know what you all are saying. i'm asking for opinions on whether or not you think it'd be worth upgrading to a 9700pro from a 9500pro. i really don't think my computer specs are that bad to warrant upgrading. i'm just asking about the video card. do you think it would be worth upgrading?

like i said, if you want to upgrade your videocard spend 30 more and get the 9800 pro. that will be a nice upgrade. still i would upgrade the rest of your system instead, but since you dont want to do that getting the 9800 pro will be a nice boost in speed.

Honestly I'd say the wiser choise in an upgrade at this point is a 9800 and above. You can get a 9800 for almost that so why not do the 9800 up instead. you can even buy the non pro and mod it to the pro! Now that's savings :)

The 9700 Pro that you've linked to is not sufficiently faster than your current 9500 Pro to warrant forking over $200+ for, since your 9500 Pro is a DX9-generation card (and the 9500 Pro is a slightly crippled version of the R9700 Pro). The only cards out there right now in the ATI Radeon series that's a justifiable upgrade from your 9800 Pro, IMHO, is a 9800 Pro (which is slightly faster than that 9700 Pro).

On the other hand, upgrading from a DX8.1-generation GFX card such as a GF4 Ti 4200 to a DX9-generation GFX card such as an R9700 Pro can make sense if you often play at resolutions above 1024x768 with both AA and AF settings maxxed out.

No obs the 5900 is a waste of money lol
Waste of money.
The 9800 is a bargin @$220 no bio's flash needed to be a scorcher;) Try a Radeon and you will never look at the Geflop again.
But back ontopic yes a 9800 would be a great upgrade;)

cool, thanks for the opinions. i would be looking at the 9800pro, but from the reviews, etc...that i've read the performance compared to the 9700pro isn't worth the extra $$. granted, it's only 20 bucks more...but still.

think of it logically... you arent getting that much of a boost from 9500 pro to 9700 pro, say 30% at max. thats 200. 9800 pro is around 8% faster than 9700 pro. thats 20. its not smart to upgrade FROM a 9700 pro to 9800 pro, but if you are going to spend 200 for something that probably isnt 30% increase in speed why not spend 20 more and get 8% increase over the 9700 pro... 30/200 = .15% increase per dollar 8/20 = .4% increase per dollar...

these people are confusing the shit out of you eh?.. grab a sapphire 9800 pro oem for 224 @ newegg.com and you wont be sorry!

well, another thing to consider is that i cannot overclock my 9500pro without a risky bios flash. with a 9700pro or 9800pro, i could overclock.

this all came about not because i really want to upgrade, but because i'm upgrading my wife's computer. she's got a PIII 500 right now and it's not cutting it for a couple games she's going to want to play in the near future. what i was going to do was get a 9700pro and keep that for myself and give her my 9500pro to replace her radeon 7500 64meg DDR card. the card she has now MIGHT play the games she wants to play, so i really don't know if i wanna spend the extra 200 something bucks on a new card. :D

Originally posted by Cthulhu
well, another thing to consider is that i cannot overclock my 9500pro without a risky bios flash. with a 9700pro or 9800pro, i could overclock.

this all came about not because i really want to upgrade, but because i'm upgrading my wife's computer. she's got a PIII 500 right now and it's not cutting it for a couple games she's going to want to play in the near future. what i was going to do was get a 9700pro and keep that for myself and give her my 9500pro to replace her radeon 7500 64meg DDR card. the card she has now MIGHT play the games she wants to play, so i really don't know if i wanna spend the extra 200 something bucks on a new card. :D

Unfortunately, your 9500 Pro won't even fit the AGP slot of older motherboards that only support AGP 2x - it requires at least an AGP 4x slot. Video cards that support AGP 8x are not compatible at all whatsoever with AGP 2x-only slots, such as those on almost all PIII-500 motherboards - because although the notches for AGP 2x and AGP 8x are in the same vicinity, the position of the AGP 8x notch is a few millimetres away from the AGP 2x notch, and therefore the notches will not line up at all. :(

So, either you'll have to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and memory on your wife's PC before you can even use your 9500 Pro in it, or she'll have to make do with the 7500 that's currently in that system. :(

Originally posted by E4g1e
Unfortunately, your 9500 Pro won't even fit the AGP slot of older motherboards that only support AGP 2x - it requires at least an AGP 4x slot. Video cards that support AGP 8x are not compatible at all whatsoever with AGP 2x-only slots, such as those on almost all PIII-500 motherboards - because although the notches for AGP 2x and AGP 8x are in the same vicinity, the position of the AGP 8x notch is a few millimetres away from the AGP 2x notch, and therefore the notches will not line up at all. :(

So, either you'll have to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and memory on your wife's PC before you can even use your 9500 Pro in it, or she'll have to make do with the 7500 that's currently in that system. :(

yeah, that's what i'm doing... she's getting all new stuff. mobo, processor, ram, hdd. i was just thinking that maybe this would be a good excuse for me to get a new card and give her my 9500pro. i think i'm just gonna hold off on getting a card. i'll wait and see if that 7500 can handle the games she's wanting to play. =)

Back