quick q how many computers can be under 1 window key?

KillerTomato

Limp Gawd
me and my dad both have a comp using xp pro. they both have the same key. is this bad? there both registerd.

KillerTomato said:
ya there both activated
thats strange as heck, usually MS blocks the 2nd one until you call them. Hey, I'll be nice and wont tell them ;)

whats wierd is that i did call M$ and they said "you have to buy a new product key" then they said "oh your copy is OEM, you dont quilify". I did give them my xp service code and stuff. wow how did this work!?

technically, you're supposed purchase a seperate copy of windows for each PC.
hmm... it can get rather costly if you're running several computer in your room/basement as a hobby which is why I feel one copy of windows should be good for the entire household. of course, proving that you're only using your copy of windows at home is tricky.

KillerTomato said:
whats wierd is that i did call M$ and they said "you have to buy a new product key" then they said "oh your copy is OEM, you dont quilify". I did give them my xp service code and stuff. wow how did this work!?
First, don't say "M$." It just makes you look dumb.

Second, 1 key == 1 computer. Products like Office allow for a desktop+laptop install, but Windows does not. Additionally, your OEM copy cannot legally be transferred to any other system, even one that you own.

Third, Retail versions can get a multi-license discount. OEM versions, however, are tied to the computer they are originally installed on (in the legal sense), and do not get the same privilege.

Fourth, every licensing scheme has a different key algorithm. Legal OEM keys fail on retail discs and vice versa. That's how MS can say "you don't qualify."

Well, They will both work fine, however, you might not be able to update the software on them. That would be bad considering its M$... Opps... MS :)

EmbraceThePenguin said:
Well, They will both work fine, however, you might not be able to update the software on them. That would be bad considering its M$... Opps... MS :)

It seems that usually Microsoft will register 2 computers with one CD key in certain time period, and usually as long as it activated sucesfully, then it will run windows updates without a problem. That doesn't mean that it's not illegal or against the user agreement however, that just seems to be how the Windows Update servers work...

[obligatory rule-following post]
If you used the same installation on two computers, the only way to get legal again is to remove it from the second computer, and order an OEM copy of XP from some place like newegg. As long as you use it on two computers, no how the activation process went, it's still illegal.
[/obligatory rule-following post]

RS3RS said:
...If you used the same installation on two computers, the only way to get legal again is to remove it from the second computer, and order an OEM copy of XP from some place like newegg. As long as you use it on two computers, no how the activation process went, it's still illegal.
Actually, even that doesn't work legally. OEM is for new computers only, you'd either have to overhaul one system (new mobo) or get Retail.

Back