Quick PowerShell Help

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I have a list of similar cmdlets to run, each one outputting a text file. The cmdlet runs fine by itself. Is there a way to have the list run as a script (ps1) that runs each line and generates each file, so I don't have to copy and paste each one manually?

The cmdlet is Get-ADGroupMember -Identity 'Group Name' | Select Name | Out-File "File Path".

So I would have the following:

Get-ADGroupMember -Identity 'Group1' | Select Name | Out-File "C:\Temp\Group1.txt"
Get-ADGroupMember -Identity 'Group2' | Select Name | Out-File "C:\Temp\Group2.txt"

...and so on, so that in the end, if I had 35 lines, I'd end up with 35 text files.

Midvalley

n00b
Yep, use the Powershell ISE that's included in Windows, put the commands on separate lines and save as a PS1.

Actually, just use the ISE for everything. Has a ton of help features and cmdlet autocomplete etc built in.

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I have yet to venture into the ISE, but I think I get the drift. Thanks for the info!

socK

2[H]4U
Don't bother with ISE, get VS Code and install the preview version of the PowerShell extension.

Also:
PHP:
$groups = @(
    "Group1",
    "Group2",
    "Group3"
)

foreach ($g in $groups)
{
    Get-ADGroupMember $g | Select-Object Name | Out-File "C:\Temp\$g.txt"
}
And maybe consider just getting the groups dynamically if possible? Like you can just grab all the groups in a certain OU with Get-ADGroup.

Last edited: