• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Quick power help please! Building computer

arachn1d

Gawd
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
836
Should I use two 6pin + 2 conenctors or 4 6pin + 2 connectors (2 are dual.)

I'm putting 4 separate 6pin + 2 connectors but I noticed 2 of them can support another 6pin.

Is it bad to share the same power between one cable?

It would look a lot cleaner if I could use 2 over 4... Especially since 2 cables would be coming out looking for something to "plug into" since they're being unused in a set of 4.

To clarity:
2x 6pin cables that splits off into another 6 pin (can power two cards?)
or 4x 6pin cables and leave the "extra" just hanging?
 
Last edited:
I have no idea what you're asking here.
If it's simply a case of 'shall I have spare cables attached or only attach the ones I need', the answer should be pretty obvious.
 
I have no idea what you're asking here.
If it's simply a case of 'shall I have spare cables attached or only attach the ones I need', the answer should be pretty obvious.

This.

Basically you should feed the card/s whatever power they require and you can leave whatever you have left dangling free, i assume you've got 2 cards and a modular power supply?
 
What I meant is that I have 4 6pin cables, however 2 of those can support 2x 6 pin (another set comes out of one).

I was wondering if it's bad to use the 2x 6pin + 6pin to power 2x 6950's or just use 4x 6pin cables and have the danglings there.

However I just zip tied the dangling and have 4 cables instead of 2.
 
How can you have a 6-pin cable that supports 2x 6-pin? Do you mean a modular cable that comes out of a PSU with two 6-pin connectors on it? Not seen a PSU like this before.
 
It doesn't matter, the 6 part of the 6+2 is exactly the same as a regular 6 pin, and these days most psu's have a single high power rail instead of a few lower powered ones, so you won't run into overload issues. Just use whatever routes/looks the best.

Edit: Re-read your post again, you mean that you have a 6 pin and then a slave 6 pin that's branched off from the first connector?? In that case I'd go ahead and use 4 physical runs of wire and leave the slave connectors dangle. It probably won't hurt anything to use the 6+6's but unless you're concerned with the looks I wouldn't risk it.
 
How can you have a 6-pin cable that supports 2x 6-pin? Do you mean a modular cable that comes out of a PSU with two 6-pin connectors on it? Not seen a PSU like this before.
XgS0Kl.jpg


See how another 6 pin cable comes out of a 6pin?
 
It doesn't matter, the 6 part of the 6+2 is exactly the same as a regular 6 pin, and these days most psu's have a single high power rail instead of a few lower powered ones, so you won't run into overload issues. Just use whatever routes/looks the best.

Edit: Re-read your post again, you mean that you have a 6 pin and then a slave 6 pin that's branched off from the first connector?? In that case I'd go ahead and use 4 physical runs of wire and leave the slave connectors dangle. It probably won't hurt anything to use the 6+6's but unless you're concerned with the looks I wouldn't risk it.
Exactly. Post above has image.

Didn't think of "slave." Good word to call it. Makes sense.
 
Hmm, not seen a PSU like that before. Yeah needless to say, you don't need to use the spare connectors. Would obviously be neater to just use the single cable, there are unlikely to be any current issues.
 
Hmm, not seen a PSU like that before. Yeah needless to say, you don't need to use the spare connectors. Would obviously be neater to just use the single cable, there are unlikely to be any current issues.
Got it. Thanks. I was worried about insufficient current for crossfire 6950's.
 
You're unlikely to run into problems, but if you do have issues then the first step is to swap to 4 home runs from the PSU.
 
What I meant is that I have 4 6pin cables, however 2 of those can support 2x 6 pin (another set comes out of one).

I was wondering if it's bad to use the 2x 6pin + 6pin to power 2x 6950's or just use 4x 6pin cables and have the danglings there.

However I just zip tied the dangling and have 4 cables instead of 2.

LOL
 
Back
Top