quick noob question about switch and router

PAo_ReVoLT

[H]ard|Gawd
i have done wiring on my house with CAT6 to everyroom that has PC, now i would like to get rid off wireless N, and switch to Ethernet completely due to faster connection, i browse some switch from Dlink and netgear it is really cheap compare to what HP or Dell offer

here is what i need
- i just need gigabit lan on my network for faster file trafering
- i have 1 machine has window 2008 standard edtion as central storage so all pc will access this server
- i need total of 12 port
- all port has to be able to access to internet and has to be on the same network

here is a question
- do i need extra eqiupment to make a internet sharing to every PC without the router, i has FIOS and it came with COAX conection to their router and i already used it as a bridge for my DGL-4500
- do i have to buy the 24port switch or can i just used cheap 2 x 8port switch?
- in the future after i set the network up can i install the DGL-4500 to the switch to make a wireless for the laptop?

thanks

As long as their router uses NAT and your hosts get an IP address from it (not necessary, but convenient), you can just go from the FIOS router to the switch and it should work. If it is a router, you should be fine. It may need to be configured for NAT or something, though.

You can use 2 switches together, depending on the model it may have to have a crossover cable. Most modern switches can auto configure it for crossover or straight-thu.

And you can add a AP to add wireless to the network. Just make sure the IP settings match the network setting.

okay! thanks

i have more question i will cameback

i'm going to place an order for the cheap dlink switch

thx

uh oh?

Cons: Doesnt work worth beans in a mixed speed environment. If you have 2 computers with 100mbit adapters and 2 with 1000mbit adapters, the switch will run ALL ports at 100mbit, effectively making the gigabit adapters run at 100mbit.
Have a 10/100 router or 100mbit adapter in ANY of the computers thats going to be connected to this switch and your wasting your time if you think you can hookup your gigabit adapters and expect gigabit speeds.
Other Thoughts: I wish someone else had mentioned its problem in a review before I bought it. I had checked their product sheet and read through reviews about this switch with no mention that it shunts all ports to the slowest connected speed. There isnt any support on Dlinks website for this product nor knowledgebase.

I found out that it shunts the ports to the slowest speed by emailing them and getting a single line response of "It is limited to the slowest connection." with a "internet email confidentiality statement" indicating that the information in the email is intended only for my personal use and is private/confidential.

Brilliant

Back