QuicK -->Need Advice on HD TV!

{NcsO}ReichstaG

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,
What medium sized High Definition TV would YOU recommend. By medium sized i mean, more than 30" but no more than 42" Those 52" would probably be too large, unless they were really a good value for the money...
I guess it should support 1080p resolution...
LCD? DLP? Probably not plasma though...
Dlp actually looks quite good...?
-Thanks

1080p = very expensive

1080i = more realistic

plasma = very expensive

to be honest, it depends ALOT on your use, source, room, viewing distance, and personal preference

whats the budget?

budget <= 2000.
Room = Midsize Living room. Not very large though
Viewing angle: Straight on i think

i know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but i speak from experience

i have the Toshiba 46H84 rear-projection, 46" widescreen HDTV, and if you spend most of your time watching TV in the evenings with the lights dimmed especially, you would likely never be able to tell the difference between DLP, Plasma, LCD, etc.......

and the price is right, you can walk into BB and have one delivered for about $1000 now

mine is catty-cornered, so the space is not an issue, LCD does not impress me, Plasma is way overpriced, and DLP is way overhyped

Don't know enough about the current 06 models to give a good sugestion, but enough to know that this is not something you'd want to rush into. Take your time and research, you're not going to get all the details in this one thread. Head over to AVS forums for a few days, then head to a few retail stores after that, then i could almost guarantee you'll be satisfied with your purchase.

One thing i'd recommend is a television with a plethora of both analog and digital inputs, this way you can have everything hooked up at the same time...and you get to compare the image quality of every input.

G'luck either way and enjoy the new toy when you get it ;)

okay, thanks for your opinions. Actually, the TV is not for me., but for some1 who asked my opinion. So..anymore suggggestions?:p
I liked DLP. The technology looked impressive...

SJetski71 said:
Don't know enough about the current 06 models to give a good sugestion, but enough to know that this is not something you'd want to rush into. Take your time and research, you're not going to get all the details in this one thread. Head over to AVS forums for a few days, then head to a few retail stores after that, then i could almost guarantee you'll be satisfied with your purchase.

One thing i'd recommend is a television with a plethora of both analog and digital inputs, this way you can have everything hooked up at the same time...and you get to compare the image quality of every input.

G'luck either way and enjoy the new toy when you get it ;)

yeah, HDMI inputs, at least one is a must, along with several component inputs

the cable company compresses their content enough that there is no visual difference between using HDMI and Component cables, so since my upconverting DVD player needs HDMI to output 720p or 1080i, i reserved it for that and use Component for the STB/DVR/HD cable box

What do people think of a Westinghouse 37" as a TV?
and
Toshiba 46H84 rear-projection
What's the max resolution it supports?

My TV is slowly dying, getting greener and greener. It hasn't got too long now, so I've been looking, a lot.

I see the rainbows in DLP sets, supposedly this is not going to be a problem soon, but I haven't seen a rainbow free DLP set yet.

I don't like projection sets, too narrow a viewing angle on most and a lot of them are unevenly lit.

I'm leaning LCD, between 37" to 45". The wall I want to hang it on wont take anything bigger anyway, and my friend's all have burned-in plasma sets.

There are several that I really l have liked, the Sharp 45" looks amazing, there are a couple of others that do 1080P now, One was really cheap, about 1600+ shipping:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11042448&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

I haven't seen it in person yet though. I was very close to ordering one of these last week, when some place had free shipping and a 15 day return option. But, I chickened out.

The Sharp, Samsung and LG 37"s all look pretty good. None of them sound all that great using the built in speakers though.

Go to all the local stores and look at them, and look at them again, as long as you possibly can, on a lot of different material, normal TV, digital, DVD and see if it screws up doing one or more mode. Some I have looked at looked great on digital, but blew it on normal TV.

Back