"Quick" install Mugen 2

So I want to test out new PC, instead of mounting the Mugen 2 my plan is to put the mobo with cpu on a desk then put thermal grease on cpu and just put the mugen on top of it and let the pressure from cooler take care of proper contact.

Is this a bad idea as I just want to quickly make sure that the PC is stable and properly working. there should be no gap between cpu, thermal grease and mugen as mugen 2 rev B is 870gram (1.8pounds?)

I have a mugen 2 rev B and even though its heavy, its not heavy enough to create pressure. but for testing it could work. you just squeeze it down gently(not too hard). do at your own risk

is it that much of a pain to use the mounting hardware or something? If its me, I wouldnt depend on the weight of the hsf alone.

You won't be able to make any meaningful determination as to whether or not it's stable without the mounting hardware in place. Futhermore, what happens if you knock the heatsink off of the CPU, if it's not actually attached?

You can run the system on the bench, but you need to make sure that the solder tails on the underside don't get shorted together. If you do that though, at least attach the heatsink so it will work properly.

What's it take, 30 seconds to install the heat sink correctly? Are you really that pressed for time? In the time it took you to make this thread, you could have had it mounted.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

What's it take, 30 seconds to install the heat sink correctly? Are you really that pressed for time? In the time it took you to make this thread, you could have had it mounted.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The Mugen 2 is a fantastic efficient, cheap and quiet heatsink, but the mounting hardware is very annoying.

You'll probably want to mount it though. Or else, you can use the Intel retail heatsink you most likely have in a box somewhere :D

Just for a reference:My Venomous-X weights 775g (excluding fan) while the mounting system creates at least 40kg of pressure.That's for proper contact.

You won't get any metal-metal contact if you just depend on the weight of the HSF alone.

Also,shit can and will happen if you don't use the mounting system.A small vibration or movement could knock the HSF off,damage the mainboard and CPU,that kind of shit.

I ended up just applying thin layer of MX-4, tape the back bracket off the Mugen underneath the mobo, lift the mobo on top of Mugen and screw it installed.

Not too difficult :)

Back