Quick ?- If I am connected both wirelessly & Wired will I tansfer on both

hevnbnd

Limp Gawd
Just wondering I am connectd to my computer hard wired on my gigabyte network and my notebok is also connected on my wireless network. How does windows determine which network to use to transfer my data? Does it use both? Does it differ in windows Vista?

So you have one computer connect both wired and wirelessly to the same network?

it will use the fastest connection

then it will use the most reliable

I don't know if windows has any coded perfrence to use wired first though.

cyr0n_k0r said:
it will use the fastest connection

then it will use the most reliable

I don't know if windows has any coded perfrence to use wired first though.

I'm not sure where you heard that from but it is definately not true. If anything plugging the same computer into a network twice will creat a loop effectively cutting the computer off from the network and quite possibly bringing the rest down with it. The same thing goes with 2 wireless cards in one computer or any mix of them. If you ever want to try this take a short ethernet cord and plug both ends into the switch wait a little bit and then watch the activity lights go crazy and then watch anything on the same switch stop working.

There are special cases where this does not apply but almost all of them are in high end networking aplications.

ok so the system would have multiple connections to the network, but each adaptor would have a unique mac address and also a unique ip address so i don't really see what the problem is? if the adaptors somehow had the same mac address or were both trying to use the same ip address then i can see major problems occuring, however. i have connected to my network using both the wired and wireless connections simulatenously lots of times and i have never brought anything down nor affected the network in any way...

as for your question regarding which one it would use in preference, sorry - i dont know.

edit: you've described what happens when you cause a loop on the same switch. connecting one pc to the same switch twice does not cause that problem. incidentally you would also need a crossover cable to connect two switch ports together, unless they were mdi-x ports.

You won't get increased speed by simply connecting both links to the network. You need to team the NICs together to get any benefit. Most server platforms support this, I don't believe there are any consumer level stuff out there that can.

underdone said:
I'm not sure where you heard that from but it is definately not true. If anything plugging the same computer into a network twice will creat a loop effectively cutting the computer off from the network and quite possibly bringing the rest down with it. The same thing goes with 2 wireless cards in one computer or any mix of them. If you ever want to try this take a short ethernet cord and plug both ends into the switch wait a little bit and then watch the activity lights go crazy and then watch anything on the same switch stop working.

There are special cases where this does not apply but almost all of them are in high end networking aplications.

This is also not true with two caveats, if you have bridging or routing turned on between the 2 interfaces, which is not default. You have to set this manually.

We have several laptops that get both an IP from their wireless card as well as their wired cards without the above mentioned issues (unless bridging or routing get's turned on). It seems that the last interface to come up is the one traffic flows through as long as the Metrics are the same in a "route print".

You may ask why anyone would run a network like that. Well It's a user education thing in this case since the "docking stations" we buy are not really docking stations, but rather a port replicator they do not have multiple profiles. So we are now educating users to turn off their wireless in the dock (replicator).

moetop said:
We have several laptops that get both an IP from their wireless card as well as their wired cards without the above mentioned issues (unless bridging or routing get's turned on). It seems that the last interface to come up is the one traffic flows through as long as the Metrics are the same in a "route print".

Echo.
More than once I've plugged my laptop in only to figure out a hour later that the wireless card was still connected as well. Made no difference in the connection, Windows just looked at the last connection as the current one.

You may ask why anyone would run a network like that. Well It's a user education thing in this case since the "docking stations" we buy are not really docking stations, but rather a port replicator they do not have multiple profiles. So we are now educating users to turn off their wireless in the dock (replicator).
Yeah, sometimes we're just dumb. :)

Thanks for the info. Well my notebook is always wirelessly connected so what I did was plug its gigabyte port into my gigabyte switch and transfered a 5 gig file to my desktop and well all the traffic took place on the wired connection and the wireless none.

Back