• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Quick IDE Config Quation

LioCraft

n00b
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
13
Hi there,
I've change my MOBO a week ago. After WinXP reinstall, every IDE device was detected as it should in WinXP and they were ordered. Yesterday, I upgraded nForce2 drivers from nVidia page. Now, all my IDE devices are all messed up in Explorer.

Now I Have:
C: HDD
D: CD-Rom
E: HDD
F: CD-Rom
G: HDD (Partition of C:)
H: CD-Rom

Before this upgrade, all HDD were together, and I just had 1 CD-RW and one DVD-RW. Now it just says CD-Rom and the is one Vobid image drive (or something like this).

Is there any way to asign the order of IDE Devices?
Should I get back to old drivers?

Thx.
 
What you do is assign a different letter to the optical drives using the device manager, change them to like X, Y and Z so they go to the end, then reboot. Windows will then move the other hard drives so that they're following C:, then you can change your optical drives back to whichever letter followes your last hard drive.
 
right-click on my computer
hit Manage
go to Disk Management
right-click and a drive and hit "change drive letter or patch"
change it

you might want to stick a CD in one of your drives so you can differentiate, sounds like you have a LOT of drives to deal with.
 
OK,
Thx for the help.
I've put together the CD-RW, DVD-RW and the virtual drive created who knows how.....but my hard drives are now C:, E: and F:.
I don't know why it's not using D: anymore.
 
Originally posted by LioCraft
OK,
Thx for the help.
I've put together the CD-RW, DVD-RW and the virtual drive created who knows how.....but my hard drives are now C:, E: and F:.
I don't know why it's not using D: anymore.
do they same thing in Disk Management to change the drives to D and E.
 
Back
Top