• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Quick Fold Server Q

blakex

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2005
Messages
288
I'm planning on trying to setup a Fold Server when I get home and I'm trying to figure out which machine I want it on.

It says it can run on a fairly low-end machine, so should I take my crappiest box (Duron 850) and install it there? I'm figuring as it works to handle the work from the other machines, it'll be impacted, so why not slow down the slowest one anyways?

Or should I use a higher end box so it can dish out work faster?

Thanks :)
 
It's probably best to use a slow box, because they don't have the latest enhancements in terms of processor features (SSE3 etc). It shouldn't matter too much when your slowest machine is a Duron, but still it might make some difference.

 
unhappy_mage said:
It's probably best to use a slow box, because they don't have the latest enhancements in terms of processor features (SSE3 etc). It shouldn't matter too much when your slowest machine is a Duron, but still it might make some difference.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later tonight. ;)
 
Back
Top