Quick Fan Wire Question (Please Help!)

{NcsO}ReichstaG

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
1,768
Hello,
So I purchased a Delta fan off ebay and it came with the black and red wires. However, the wires were not attached to a molex connecter or a 3 pin power connector. They are attached to a 2 pin power connector. What am I supposed to do to get this to work with a DFI Ultra-D motherboard? I don't see any 2 pin connecters...and I seem not to be able ot (physically) to plug in the 2 pin connecter into the 3 pin area on the motherboard.
Here are the pics:
fan1.JPG
 
If you have an old fan, cut connector off of it and splice it together with the delta. That is your only real option...or an old molex connectr/splitter/adapter. Just match up the red and black.
 
Can I buy a splitter/adapter?Name?
Or would it work if I just was able to plug it into a 3 pin power connecter on the mobo by breaking off the little brown "legs" or whatever they are called off the 2 pin power connecter of the fan? Then it will fit i think?
What do I need to splice it together?
 
Find an old connector for either an old fan, PSU adapter, anything that will get power to it and will fit in your mother board.

Cut the end off of your current fand and expose the bare wire.

Cut the connector you are using and expose those wires. Tie/solder/wire nut the black to the black, and red to the red and plug it in.
 
..so twisting the wires together should work?
I don't have soldering tools.. BTW, how much does a VERY AVERGAGE soldering tool cost :confused:
 
very average tool? I'm not sure, but would have to think anywhere from $5-10
 
soldering is best.. i've had fans that i twisted/crimped together and the conection came lose.... go to sears and you can get a soldering iron and solder for around $11 total
 
{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
Can I buy a splitter/adapter?Name?
Or would it work if I just was able to plug it into a 3 pin power connecter on the mobo by breaking off the little brown "legs" or whatever they are called off the 2 pin power connecter of the fan? Then it will fit i think?
What do I need to splice it together?

Just break/shave off one of the notches on the plug so that it will fit the motherboard connector. I do it all the time... just make sure you orient the plug so that the red wire is on the + pin of the mobo connector and the black wire is on the - pin of the mobo connector.
 
That would work as well. Try to split the two halves of the current connector. But when you put it on the actual mobo, make sure they match up to the correct pins.
 
Back
Top