Quick, Easy SLI/Upgrade Question

Craftish

Gawd
I'm looking to build a new core2duo system (E6600). I currently have an eVGA 7600 GT card and was wondering which of the following would be a better option: SLI a second 7600 GT ($130 more) or purchase a midrange card (7950 GT or thereabouts, around $250). This would be going on an Asus P5N-E SLI board assuming I go with SLI.

Generally I would recommend not doing sli unless you are after ultimate performance and money is not an issue. I would go with a single 7950GT myself or possibly cough up a bit more and get a 8800GTS. Unless 7600GT's in sli are as fast or faster than a single 7950GT and you don't mind the quirks and limitations of sli in general I would stick with a single card setup. Obviously in your case adding another 7600GT would be cheaper though, so it's probably just a financial decision if the performance is there with the 7600's sli'd.

Ugh, I just discovered dual-monitor support with SLI is non-existent, and that's an absolute must for me. Guess I'll have to go with a mid-range solution: any suggestions?

Back