Quick Decision while 10% CB going on! ATCS 840 vs 800D, help!

patriot71

Gawd
I hate posting these types of threads but I am truly at ends trying to make this decision. With the 10% Bing CB going on right now, I want to purchase a case from the egg.

I am stuck between the ATCS 840 and the 800D.

I really like the 840 but there is no side window, the PSU chamber is not separated, and the interior is not black. I can do all of those mods, but finding time is the issue. The stock air cooling is a plus and I am really like how this case looks.

The 800D is awesome as well but the stock cooling leaves much to be desired. I would add top exhaust fans to this case if I did get it. I am not very enthused about the price tag. I do like the cable management features and the black interior.

For added information, I have water cooled before and could fit a water cooling system into either of these cases. I do not plan to build a water cooling system into the near future.

Prices after CB are
Corsair 800D - 289.99 - 10% CB = $261 + FS
ATCS 840 - 189.99 - 10% CB = $171 + FS

Feel free to throw in your $.02!

I would like to apologize in advance for the 6th grade level sentence structure.

I had the 840. It can do everything you need and more with a removable motherboard tray.

The 800D is gorgeous, especially for watercooled PCs.

It really comes down to looks and air cooling between the two. Which one you need more?

Cooling (ATCS 840) or Looks(800D)

Just remember this, once you go removable mobo tray you never go back. I had a CM Stacker 830, wasnt happy with it. Looked high and low for a new case, came down to lian li or silverstone. lian lian looks slighty better but silverstone had a much better removable mobo tray.

Removable mobo tray is not the end all choice. For watercooled setups, it's useless since you can't remove it without disconnecting everything. In that case, the 800D is the best choice for me.

If you have money to burn I guess the 800D. I'm not particularly impressed with the airflow on the 840. I wish it was setup more like the CM-590 is which my dream case.

Just remember this, once you go removable mobo tray you never go back. I had a CM Stacker 830, wasnt happy with it. Looked high and low for a new case, came down to lian li or silverstone. lian lian looks slighty better but silverstone had a much better removable mobo tray.

I typically try many/most Silverstone, Zalman and Lian Li cases that come out each year. Most of the cases I've had have had a removeable motherboard tray and I seldomly ever used it so it certainly would not be THE deciding factor for me when it comes down to choosing a case.

I'm not sold on either of the cases the OP is asking about so can't be of much help. I have not seen the 800D in person but it just seems wayyy too big and, as stated, stock cooling doesn't seem that great for such an advanced, high end case. I have, however, seen the 840 and was not impressed by the build quality - it was definitely inferior to the LL and Silverstone cases I'm used to. The 840 has nice features (like the bigger, quieter fans, etc.) but overall build quality is definitely CoolerMaster level quality, which is a notch below the true higher end brands.

Dont get me wrong, a removable mobo tray shouldnt be the major choosing factor, but it should be considered. I have a TJ09 and I guess if you had your radiator mounted on the back of the case, and the resevoire on the mobo tray,not sure where you put the pump, but it could be done where everything could be taken out by removing the mobo tray. But back to the main question. I have had 3 Cooler master cases and a liquid cooling unit, and really i was happy with the quality of any of them. Which is why i no longer buy cooler master products. And the 800D comes from a company with great quality. but that case is no lan party case.

Back