Quick ATH question

aKrippler

Gawd
I was lookin at the ath-ad700's and I like them alot, but I would really like a pair of closed headphones. The ath-a700 is (I am guessing) the same thing as the ad-700 but they are closed air. The only downside is that the cans are pleather instead of cloth.

The last 3 pairs ive had have all been cloth and I cannot bring myself to spend money on a pair of pleather cans. the 900's are pleather as well, why are the higher quality cans pleather instead of cloth? Am I the only one that thinks the cloth>pleather?

Does anyone replace the pads on their own headphones?

So the deal is I want a pair of closed air cloth cans. Any suggestions? <$150 plz 90% gaming 10% random lectures and music. No amp or real soundcard atm, but I will be getting into that soon.

Thanks in advance :)

Because cloth won't do a good job of creating a seal around your ears. One of the points of sealed cans is to keep external noise out. That means not only closing the back, but creating a good seal around the ear. Cloth doesn't do that.

shure srh840

coiled cable though, and leather pads. but wont find closed without it.

also problem with closed headphones is soundstage, which will not be ideal for gaming.

Last edited:
I see, so if I want cloth pads my only choice is open air sets. Thanks alot for the responses guys. I will probabley end up just picking up the ad700's theres no way in hell I am going back to leather pads after using cloth pads for 2+ years.

one thing I'd point out is that it isn't always pleather, sometimes its a different synthetic, the material Denon uses (for example) isn't bad, the vinyl junk that Sony uses on cheap headphones is horrible

I will agree that cloth is better, and generally not as good for a seal, although in a decently quiet room, open headphones aren't a bad deal IME, although don't take this to mean they block noise out (the noise of my computer isn't an issue, but my dogs will easily be heard regardless)

Sony MDR-V6 (Amazon)
Beyer DT250 velour earpads (Sweetwater)

Beautiful on a nice amp, but not particularly finicky about source. A "monitor" headphone which is very neutral. It is also very comfortable after replacing the pads without significantly sacrificing isolation. Durability / build quality is near-legendary (it should last decades if you don't abuse it).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back