Quick and dirty way of using memtest86?

Gary King

Limp Gawd
Does anyone have a quick set of instructions on how to use memtest86 to find out my RAM type? And to test the RAM as well?

Also, which is better? memtest86 or memtest86+?

* Download the iso from the memtest86 home page
* Unzip
* Burn
* Boot
* Wait
* See if it found anything.

I'd suggest giving it a few hours in the "wait"-phase. Overnight is good.

Any errors=fail. Failure does NOT mean the memory is bad, though it's likely. It could also be the power supply or mobo; possibly, but less likely, CPU.

If you get errors with multiple memory modules, test each module seperatly. If all modules pass but fail together, the PS/mobo/CPU are likely good, and it could me a specific memory mismatch.

im kinda partial to the ultimate boot disk like 50meg download has a lot of good utilities all put together on a cd image.

Failure often means you just need to adjust the settings in the BIOS...although if it does it at stock speed and the correct settings it's most likely RMA time.

I just run it through about end of test 5 when I'm tweaking, then overnight when I think it's done.

Gary King said:
So I leave it overnight eh?

Can I run the program from a floppy?
Yes and yes but you have to download the Windows/Dos program and put it on a bootable floppy that DOES NOT have Himem.sys or Emm386.com

ashmedai said:
Failure often means you just need to adjust the settings in the BIOS...although if it does it at stock speed and the correct settings it's most likely RMA time.

I just run it through about end of test 5 when I'm tweaking, then overnight when I think it's done.
Good point and I totally left that off my list. The BIOS setting can of course introduce errors.

Last time I wanted to DL the newest memtest86 I noticed that the last update was "Memtest86 3.2 Release (11/Nov/2004)"

So I started looking for an updated replacement that could recognize more hardware etc. and found:

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

It's based on the original Memtest86, but shows more info (cas, ras, etc) and works with x86-64 and so forth :)

-E

Back