Quick - 6950 or 560 ti?

Foz2001

[H]ard|Gawd
Playing at 1080p.

What do you suggest? I am in Canada, I can get the 560 for about $20 cheaper and it comes with just cause 2 and mafia 2.

Is it worth it or get the 6950?

Thanks

The 560. The 6950 won't give you anything more, and will cost more, and will not come with games. Is the 6950 a reference design and is the 560 a reference design?

Something about PNY's warranty: PNY will warrant the card as long as they manufacture it, and if they don't, they can try to fix it. They don't have to provide a replacement that's as fast as or faster, and if they can't replace it, you're out of luck.

So if you plan on keeping the card for any lengthy period of time, be wary. Besides that, I still say the 560 is a more appropriate card for you as long as it's cheaper and it has a warranty.

6950 for sure, from everything i've read, the card that is in the 560's performance bracket is the 6870 1gb/2gb, and the 6950 is a step above the 6870.

6950 is comparable to the 570, usually faster. 6950s can also potentially be unlocked to 6970s. The 6950 will be noticable faster...but wont come with games. Also XFX is great with warranty.

6950 dominates at high resolutions, its not really the case at 1920x1080, but the XFX warranty is still superior. If you want the free games get the 560, if you're more worried about warranty go 6950.

I actually just ordered an MSI 6950 today. What bought me over was the lower power consumption, the extra memory(I am hoping this will help with running higher res. textures), and the possibility to unlock to 6970 speeds. Though tbh I haven't really done a lot of research on the matter, I just kinda went with my impulses despite being an nvidia fan boy hah.

Also I wouldn't base my decision off of those 2 games considering they are just single player games and I've heard mafia 2 really isn't that great(or so my friend tells me and he liked mafia 1) and JC2 is pretty fun but ermm well a lot of us pc guys don't really find value in single player only games if you know what I mean.

Not a fanboy but nvidia is getting their ass kicked this round. That could change but yeah, 6950 will last you longer.

once again you guys did not even look at his cpu. OP, with an old E6400, you will be wasting your money on very high end gpu. even at 2.8 your E6400 is about like my E8500 lowered to 2.2 which would bottleneck the the crap out of a gtx560 or 6950.

once again you guys did not even look at his cpu. OP, with an old E6400, you will be wasting your money on very high end gpu. even at 2.8 your E6400 is about like my E8500 lowered to 2.2 which would bottleneck the the crap out of a gtx560 or 6950.

Agreed

Oh sorry, should have mentioned I am getting a full upgrade. i2500k.

And I ordered the 560 before all the 6950 chatter.....

Hoping I'll be happy with it.

Oh man. Yeah good on the cpu. You should be cool with the 560 but that lack of vram will hurt eventually.

think I can cancel just the video card? I ordered from N C I X tonight? Planning on calling in the morning, what do you guys think?

Either card is going to be great. I would have chosen an XFX 6950 over a PNY 560, just because XFX has a much better warranty. Either one of them will be awesome at 1080p so no need for buyers regret though.

it sucks cuz I was leaning towards the 6950 too, the games made me choose the other. Ah well, I'll call in the morning and see if it can easily be switched.

Oh sorry, should have mentioned I am getting a full upgrade. i2500k.

And I ordered the 560 before all the 6950 chatter.....

Hoping I'll be happy with it.

That's alright, it won't make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_550_Ti_Amp_Edition/23.html

At 1680, the 6950 is 2% faster, at 1920, it's 6% faster. At 1080p, the 6950 should only be 4% faster, and they both overclock equally well. Enjoy the new card :).

EDIT: Since you're considering switching it, let me say: I highly recommend XFX for the warranty. If you plan on keeping the card for a while, get the 6950, it's better, if you won't be keeping it long, the 560 won't sacrifice anything in that sense.

this 6950 is the 1GB version, looks like some of you guys might be thinking its 2Gb?

In that case their performance is identical, the 560 will have a slightly higher chance of gaining performance through OCing. If you value the warranty more, get the XFX, if you value the games more, get the PNY.

For future reference, linking the two cards you are considering will help avoid complications like this.

Back