Queston about Windows XP update

UMASS

Gawd
Hi All: I'm going to build a WINXP rig for some games that doesn't play nice with WIN7. Will Microsoft give me the latest updates? I understand the OS is no longer supported, but can I get to the last update? Any insight would be appreciated.

Windows update is not reachable via link in start menu. The OS will, however, auto-update and install any patches or fixes up to the time of support EOL.

I honestly have no idea at this point, but I'm fairly confident that it's always possible to get XP games running on Windows 7 if you put in the time and effort to make it happen. I've yet to find anything that was "Designed for Windows XP" that can't or won't work with Windows 7, even if I have to resort to using "compatibility mode" or running them in the XP Mode virtual machine supplied for free if you have Windows 7 (has to be downloaded from Microsoft but they may not even offer the files anymore, I have them safely backed up in several places just in case).

I happen to have XP Mode installed for some testing (a few months ago) and never bothered to update it from Windows Update so I just fired it up and this is what Windows Update shows available:

So I'd guess if you did an actual bare metal install (this is a virtual machine, as stated) you'll still be able to get at least the updates noted. If needed you can try this and see if it works to enable the updates:

Registry hack enables continued updates for Windows XP

I don't believe XP Mode has support for d3d, but I know Virtualbox does, btw which games are you having issues with?

Windows Update for XP is still around. I reclaimed my old QX9650 system from my nephew because his parents purchased a new computer for him for XMas. I reinstalled XP and office 2003 onto that machine, installed the latest drivers then ran windows update. Took forever to install the updates for the OS and office (Machine will be used for much older games on a 1280x1024 LCD monitor) You just won't get any updates past the cutoff date that MS ended support for the OS. As said by an earlier person, you can run the hack to get additional updates, but I have never tried this way.

Thanks everyone for your insight. I'm going to build it next weekend. Certain games no matter how hard I tried, won't work in Windows7 Pro.

You didn't try hard enough.

That's ridiculous. Win7 breaks compatibility with a boatload of games. Some games refuse to start when they detect the OS version for example even if there wouldn't be other issues. Some copy protections refuse to install on Windows 7 so you have the option either to stop playing them or download a shady no-cd patch. Both options sound so nice.

Well, it's just a question of who do you trust more: some random cracker or Microsoft?

I trust other people to beta test updates to windows for a couple weeks before I trust Microsoft.

I also trust that people take pride in releasing cracks, and I don't recall ever getting something nasty from the actual release (other things bundled along with the release is another matter).

Don't forget about the Windows 7 / 8 / Vista update that completely BROKE Safedisc DRM.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/23/windows-update-disables-safedisc-drm-7-8-vista/

A LOT of games are simply unplayable without a crack. You can disable the update but it's something an average non-enthusiast PC gamer will not know how to do.

And there are a bunch of games that don't work right on 7 and upwards... like Atari's Alone in the Dark (2008). The game is stuck in a weird resolution and if you try to fix it with an ini hack, the game refuses to run.

7 is great and there's tons of old games that run fine, but there's also tons of old games that do not for whatever reason. An XP machine is a good solution. A virtualized PC is also good but I only use it to run non-3D games.

You didn't try hard enough.

That's ridiculous. Win7 breaks compatibility with a boatload of games. Some games refuse to start when they detect the OS version for example even if there wouldn't be other issues. Some copy protections refuse to install on Windows 7 so you have the option either to stop playing them or download a shady no-cd patch. Both options sound so nice.
There are a lot of games (late 90's very early 2000's) that ran on XP that do not run on 7.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping an old XP machine around for legacy stuff like that.

Back