Questions....

itsrickjames

Limp Gawd
So I been gone a bit thinking about starting folding again. I am noticing GPU's seem to be giving high ppd are they the best bang for the buck now?

They're certainly a lot better in terms of price and power efficiency than any desktop CPU. Many bigadv rigs are more efficient, but most of them cost a lot more up front.

So from what I am seeing the high ppd cards are the newer stuff mostly like the 700 series Nvidia and 7000 and up Radeon cards correct? Just wondering cause I have a gtx460 or 2 laying around was debating selling them for a 700 series or using them.

So from what I am seeing the high ppd cards are the newer stuff mostly like the 700 series Nvidia and 7000 and up Radeon cards correct?
Yes, yes, indeed.

Some rough numbers

7970/R9 290 - ~110k ppd - don't recall, guessing 300w-ish system draw
R9 290X - ~150k ppd - 400w system draw
TITAN - ~160k ppd - 325w system draw
780 - ~ 140k ppd - 300ish system draw

Of course, 4p G34 can go higher and i4p even higher than that...

Do 5* series NVidia cards see the 8900 units?

Cause my 560ti has yet to see one.

Yes, my 580s ran em (While I still had em), only did ~35k ppd per card though.

Do 5* series NVidia cards see the 8900 units?

Cause my 560ti has yet to see one.

Be happy you aren't getting one if you're already getting 7810/11 units. Those beastly WU's absolutely suck on slower generation GPU's (takes 12 hours for one on my 660).

Surprised we haven't seen really any new WU's in the last 5 months come to think of it.

...and yes OP GPU folding has skyrocketed and we still have no idea what BigGPU will have in store. Seeing how a GTX 780 chews through every unit just leaves you breathless :).

I took a screenshot of my EOC stats a few moments ago. You can get an idea of how much ppd my 780ti is producing. The big numbers are from the GPU and my 4P rig.

9ww0.jpg

...and yes OP GPU folding has skyrocketed and we still have no idea what BigGPU will have in store.

FWIW last I heard was the gpubigadv was low priority due to other projects and lack of demand.

So it looks like then I will be on the look out for a new 7 series Nvidia GPU to start back up on. Any good deals to be had that anyone knows about?

Back