Questions to ask a new hire?

ZenDragon

[H]ard|Gawd
We are interviewing some people for tech support / web developer positions. My boss asked me to come up with 2-3 questions to ask them to make sure they are relativily competent. Most of what hes going to be doing is pretty basic so I wanted to keep the questions simple but to the point. Negating the obvious things like "Do you know how to add a printer" and stuff like that. I cant really think of anything to ask him to "test" his knowledge. Can you all think of anything that would be good to ask? We use windows NT4 *hides* domain but we are currently migrating to 2000. 2000 and XP mixed clients.

Q: Error: No domain is available, what is the likely causes?
A: Check cables.

Q: Error: No OS found, list possible causes
A: Dead HDD, bad boot sector, loose HDD cable, floppy in A:\ drive, etc.

Q: I received a message in my e-mail from XYZ company (3rd party) that I am sending out a virus, what should I do?
A: Lots of different ways to approach this, it's open ended, see how they troubleshoot. They should check virus scan file dates to make sure they are current, perform a scan, and ignore the message if it scans clean due to message forging. At a minimum they should check the dates and perform a scan.

A workgroup of computers has been created for a temporary training class with one printer shared off of a workstation. At the end of the course, all the attendees will logon to one of the workstations with a generic user account so they can take a small test and print our their scores. At the end of it all, the trainees find they are unable to print. What is the fastest way to fix the issue?

Answer: enable the guest account on the machine sharing the printer. The reason they cannot print is because the accounts on the workstations they're using do not match the one on the workstation that is sharing the printer. An alternative solution, although not the quickest, is to attach each machine to the an administrative share on the machine with the printer by using the local administrator's account and password.

Back